Snow has arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

Please keep it up there for awhile. We had about a 1/2 inch of ice/snow/sleet and it was a mess. Alot of leaves still on some trees due to the long wet weather, so had lots of trees and limbs and stuff down. Lost the power here for about 20 hours. 7:30 last night (thurs) to about 4 or 5:00 this eve. It was still off when I went to go test cows @ 2:00 p.m. and got a text about 5:00 that it should be restored and if not to please contact them with the address. Didn't get home until nearly 8:00 and luckily it was on and finally had heat and lights again. With the rain that started the mess and all the sleet/ice stuff there was 1.1 inches in the rain gauge. That's after 1.3 inches on Mon-Tues. I wish I could send it all to Calf for the next month.

wbvs58":jgy08cuv said:
It looks like it is making snow not cleaning it up Jeanne.

Ken
LOL - yeah, guess it does! We have had this about 3 years. 1st year purchased after a heavy snow winter. Spent "forever" moving snow with a bucket. Purchased this and never hooked it to the tractor the first year. Dealer sent me a note saying he would give me a GREAT deal if I purchased a new one each year if we were going to have that kind of winter!!
One sweep, and snow is gone. Not built up on the edges, like on the driveway. Can't drive off edges of driveway because it is crowned good. So, with a bucket, you just keep building up the sides - which - as soon as the wind blows, snow is filled right back in. This way - it's GONE. There is a learning curve with the blower tube. First year, Phil, my nephew blew out a window in the barn. City kids!!!! LOL

LOL - you point the blower pipe to whatever direction you want. Just blow it away from areas you want clean. If you had a really big wide area, you start at one side & keep blowing to the other side. It will move it about maybe 25-30 yards.

Went out hunting yesterday. Drove the tractor around different places yesterday thru the open fields, making "walking paths". But, I wounded one that we had to follow. Hiked through several open fields, with heavy wet snow about 14-16". I was dragging butt (but we did end up getting him). And Phil got one. While he was gutting it out, I walked across another open field - that we did not make a path - to get the tractor. I need to just drive all over the darn place!!
My family of 11 members will be here Tuesday for hunting & Thanksgiving for a week. They are going to get some exercise!!!!
Problem is we can't get around with the quads. I have two and they are bringing two.

You're right it doesn't last long on the trees, hangs on the pines a little longer until a good breeze, the blower that you guys use works well for moving snow especially when its soft ground under it, plows and buckets dig in and make a bigger mess in the spring to clean up, especially gravel.

haase - you are soooo right. Each spring, we would have to repair the lawn. Pick up piles of gravel and put wads of grass back into holes. Not bad if everything is frozen first, but rarely happens. It was a lot more investment than a bucket, but the results are worth it. We have an alleyway uphill to our steel barn. It would take forever to bucket the snow out - with this, just back up the alleyway & blow it a long ways away. Love it, love it.

Haven't put the blower on the back of the tractor for 7 or 8 years now. Pickup with the plow is my go to weapon of choice. Blower does a nice job at not leaving snowbanks but with how quick the truck is I can deal with the banks it creates.