snot nosed bull

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
i feed em evryday so i noticed yesterday hes got a runny nose.

could just be dust or dirt blowin around i guess. looks like a lot of dust round his nostrils.

how long to wait to worry? and how do i know what he should get if he needs some help? porbly could just walk up and give him a shot of somethin if need be.

do ya ever wonder what would happen if we didnt do anything? although i do believe that sometimes doing nuthin is the best thing i sure dont want to have a loss over something i could have prevented.

I think a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure but that's only my opinion. We had a cow come up with a snotty nose and we could tell she felt really bad. One shot and the next day she was much better. How's he acting besides a runny nose?

You've probably seen the term "benign neglect" in here a few times. Based on what you posted I wouldn't worry.

But throw in mucous in the snot or a cough or lethargy and it might worry me more.

Was he "slinging at you" ? Close to a water source?

ALX.":49tkq0y5 said:
You've probably seen the term "benign neglect" in here a few times. Based on what you posted I wouldn't worry.

But throw in mucous in the snot or a cough or lethargy and it might worry me more.

Was he "slinging at you" ? Close to a water source?

I'll second it.

he wasnt slingin or near water.. he wasnt stressin either..
the snot is runny and drips but its clear and seems to be less of it today. hedidnt seem to wanna get up when i walked to him but hes very gentle so maybe he just didnt care i was there. i looked in his eyes and his nose and it just looks like clear snot runnin out. no coughin or anythingelse odd. maybe a little lethergic....but he got up when i dumped the feed and ate a good bit then went to water and now hes out with the rest of the cows grazin...

i only use safeguard blocks to worm. 2x yr...im tryin to be as much w/o anything as possible..anyways maybe worms?? heartwerms

pooping good.clean soft.nice color and texture. nothin in it i could see wiht thenaked eye but it did look like he pooped while he was laying there.....not layin like on his side but sittin up. holdin up his head.

been rainin and hot for the last 2 weeks. short pasture dryin out fast. no standin water. fresh feed water everyday and the grass sprouts are kepin em happy along with the hay....

just throwin out all the info i can...la 200 or some ivomec?? he seems the same really cept for the nose

Probably nothing, but I read enough doubt into what you say to wonder . I think I would put a thermometer in him, if over 102 treat with a good broad spectrum antibiotic .Better safe than sorry, it doesn't cost much to check his temp .

Larry

Nah ~ leave him be for now I am thinking. As long as it i ssrunnning clear there is nothing to indicate infection so LA 200 would not be helpful. Could be allergies. Like the others said ~ runny nose by itself is not a cause for concern, but pay attention as you have been. His behavior does not seem off to me, but you know him better. Watch for off behavior. He is breathing without difficulty ~ yes? Wait and watch I would say.

Larry just posted, and he is right. Temp will tell you plenty.

dieselbeef":916k0r6a said:
la 200 or some ivomec?? he seems the same really cept for the nose

Neither. If he starts to act like there is a porblem hit him with Nuflor, Excenel, or one of the other REAL antibiotics. Otherwise, "benign neglect".

dieselbeef":2yat9f0g said:
i feed em evryday so i noticed yesterday hes got a runny nose.

could just be dust or dirt blowin around i guess. looks like a lot of dust round his nostrils.

how long to wait to worry? and how do i know what he should get if he needs some help? porbly could just walk up and give him a shot of somethin if need be.

A snotty nose alone is not necessarily an indication of anything other than he has a snotty nose - and it could be caused by a lot of benign things. I would be more concerned with he looks, and how he is acting. Is he eating, and acting like he usually does? If so, I would just keep an eye on him for a few days to make sure it doesn't progress into something else. If, however, he is off feed, ears drooping, eyes dull, lethargic, coughing, and/or hunched up - he would get treated with Baytril at the one treatment dose for his weight.

ill be watchin him this weekend.

yall either up early or up late last night. i think i posted that round 9pm.

thanks for the help....whats the whole benign neglect thing..ill hafta look that up to see if yall are busting my....jewels...

dieselbeef":1sgdwfx9 said:
ill be watchin him this weekend.

yall either up early or up late last night. i think i posted that round 9pm.

thanks for the help....whats the whole benign neglect thing..ill hafta look that up to see if yall are busting my....jewels...

I've only ever once seen someone post falsely on a health issue and it was a well known idiot cowboy from outer space. Nodody would bust ya or allow you to be busted for long on these boards on a health issue.

Keep us up on on how your boy is doing.

i know i was just kiddn bout bustin on me. he was doin well last nite. no snottin and was up grazin. his old owner stopped by and had a look at em(came by for other business ..good timing) and was impressed how good hes lookin since i got em. he didnt seem to worried bout it cuz he didnt see anything.
so im hopin its was somethin he got into maybe or just somethin up his nose.

thanks for the help all of you!!

this guy dont look like much but his calfs do and i could probly ride em even though i wouldnt..so i hate for somethin to happen to him

Latest posts