sneaky cow, but lucky for me

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I have this Holstein cow that is just pretty darn sneaky!!

A few days ago I put the cows in the woods to graze, that night they were all up in the barnyard, made a quick drive thru of the woods, closed it off, that night I was one short a dry cow, no biggee, sometimes the dry cows don't come in the barn, so the next day I move the cows to a new pen, that night I'm bringing them home, and here this cow is in the woods, from the day before. My first thought is she calved, but after looking in the woods, no calf found, so I bring her in the barn, and she does look skinnier, but no swelling in the back, no signs of calving, so I figured she was just in the early stages of labor. That night she went straight out with the others, so I figured I was right in my thinking. Last night I get the cows up, and she's away from the pack, I'm thinking ok she's in labor or calved, but no calf, no labor. So, I tell my boys, we are going to walk the woods again, take the dogs, might be awaste of time, but I had that feeling. We start out, and after 5 minutes, what do i see sitting underneathe a big cedar tree, a heifer baby calf. Obviously well taken care of, and like a lil deer. Took 4 of us to catch her, that is how fast and healthy she is. It amazes me how this calf was born, 3 days ago, survived in the woods, maybe the calf sneaked to Mom during the day, then sneaked back to the woods, and survived. I considered that a very lucky day!! :) :) :)

GMN