Snapping turtle?

Help Support CattleToday:

smartin0022

Reaction score
Anyone ever eat one this big I caught him at work on the back lake threw him in the side by side and started the cleaning out process now I'm concerned he will be to tough to eat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211003-165237_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211003-165237_Gallery.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 32
We used to catch some that were the size of washtubs and the chef's at the restaurant across the road were thrilled to get them... they made all sorts of things from them. I don't know if it gets tough... I was young then so really can't say. I personally have never cooked it.

What is involved in the cleaning out process?

Ken
Most people around here put them in a clean barrel or cattle tub and put city water on them to about the top of the shell and change water every day for 7 days. Then hang him from a tree after removing the head and skin. Then salt water for 2-3 days changing water every day. After that either prepare it on the bone or debone the meat and fry.

Most people around here put them in a clean barrel or cattle tub and put city water on them to about the top of the shell and change water every day for 7 days. Then hang him from a tree after removing the head and skin. Then salt water for 2-3 days changing water every day. After that either prepare it on the bone or debone the meat and fry.
Anytime we did the "clean out" process, we put them, as you stated, in a large tub full of water and changed it daily. Then we'd kill it. We did not, however, hang from a tree or brine it.

The sized ones we would kill and eat were larger than what you appear to have in that bucket. We usually killed them at 18" to 20" sized shells. They never seemed too tough, depending on how we cooked them.

The one you have there should be fine.

Anytime we did the "clean out" process, we put them, as you stated, in a large tub full of water and changed it daily. Then we'd kill it. We did not, however, hang from a tree or brine it.

The sized ones we would kill and eat were larger than what you appear to have in that bucket. We usually killed them at 18" to 20" sized shells. They never seemed too tough, depending on how we cooked them.

The one you have there should be fine.
Well that's a 55 gallon barrel but I agree he should be fine. He prolly weights about 30-35 lbs I'll measure the shell tonight.

I've always heard there was supposed to be 7 different types of meat in a snapping turtle. Have butchered two. Dad was told they had to be stunned or the meat would jump out of the pan. I held him by his tail, he stuck his head out and looked and dad hit him with a wooden baseball bat. Then we cut his head off and then cut the top shell off of the bottom shell by using a hatchet and hitting it with a ball peen hammer. Nowdays a short bladed sawzall would do the trick faster. Mom made soup, had some meat on skewers. Didn't think it was good enough for the work in getting it. That one will be fine.

Latest posts