Snakes!!

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
I was too tired to post this yesterday so here it goes:

I've never seen a snake before (well, maybe once when I was just a wee thing when I went to a zoo), much less get up close and personal with one.

Make that three.

So I just couldn't resist bragging to everyone on here: I held 3 snakes in the time frame of 3/4 of an hour, one at a time, not all at once. And no I'm not kidding.

My first one happened to be a ball python, who was just happy to curl around my arm for a while. Although he did crawl up to my neck and down my shoulder a couple times...sure tickles when they do that...

Second one was some sort of tree snake, and an albino one to boot. She was a bit of a sweety, I have to admit.

And the third was a little corn snake (or something like that), and boy he just wanted to cruise! He wouldn't sit still for even a second.

I'm attending a course on companion animals and there was a lab yesterday were some folks from the Edmonton Reptile and Amphibian Societ came out to show off their creatures and talk about having reptiles as pets. They had also brought out a 4' long iguana, a couple bearded dragons, some geckos, a tortoise and a turtle. The tortoise and turtle where allowed to cruise around the room among the students, desks and chairs.

So yeah, I guess you could say I had fun yesterday. ;-)

They feel different than the slimy feel your mind tells you don't they? They are definitely strong animals as well. I caught a six foot diamondback when I was young and dumb and I was amazed at the strength he had. When I saw how strong he was I was almost to scared to toss him on the ground. :oops:

Boy do i got a story for you:

In the 5th grade my teacher had 3 parrots, 1 cat, a corn snake, 3 pythons (about 3 feet in length), sugar gliders and one python which was probably about 6 feet (of course then im sure he seemed alot bigger but when i think back it was probably 6 feet) (Opps and i forgot a bearded dragon, thats like a lizard right?). All of these animals were in the class room. The birds sat on stands, the snakes in their own cages and the sguar gliders in a big cage. The cat was allowed to run free around in the room. It was one heck of an experience for a 5th grader but on some days she would feed the snakes and we got to watch and that 6 footer was fed some big rats. Also being in the class we got to hold the parrots and on occassion even the snakes. She claimed it taught kids to ignore distractions and focus on school assignments. Needless to say reading your post reminded me of that class.

Jogeephus":1vfgltwi said:
They feel different than the slimy feel your mind tells you don't they? They are definitely strong animals as well. I caught a six foot diamondback when I was young and dumb and I was amazed at the strength he had. When I saw how strong he was I was almost to scared to toss him on the ground. :oops:

You bet! I was surprised at how strong that albino's tail was on my arm. All she was doing was anchoring herself to me, like she would to a tree branch, but it was like her tail was a vise grip.

And yeah, they don't feel slimy, just cool and smooth, and their skin was supple enough to feel like it was almost separate from their muscles in them.

I forgot to mention too that the couple that founded the ERAS also owned a 14' Burmese python. :shock: :shock:

IluvABbeef":19myicq2 said:
I've never seen a snake before (well, maybe once when I was just a wee thing when I went to a zoo), much less get up close and personal with one.

Make that three.

So I just couldn't resist bragging to everyone on here: I held 3 snakes in the time frame of 3/4 of an hour, one at a time, not all at once.

Down here Karin, just pick up firewood off the ground that has been laying out for any length of time. I am bad too saw up trees and big limbs that fall on the fences and then come back later to pick it all up when we have accumulated a pickup truck load or more of it. You will find 3 snakes before lunch like that. I drop more wood on my feet that way. Some days is like that just fishing.

Latest posts