Snakes [poll]

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you scared of snakes? Make sure you pick the correct one for being male or female.

• Yes - Female

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • No - Female

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Yes - Male

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • No - Male

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
With the recent postings about snakes, I've noticed that a lot of men are scared of them. I've noticed around home that the big, tough guys are the ones scared of snakes. So I'm curious to know who is scared of them and not.

Not scared, but have lots of respect for the poisonous ones. :nod:

No, I'm not afraid of them, nor do I hate them, but I do have a lot of respect for them. ;-) I never kill bullsnakes, garden snakes, or most any other kind of non-poisonious snake. Rattlesnakes are dead just as soon as I can lay a hand to a shovel.

Im rather fond of snakes. Ever since i was a little kid if i seen a snake i would have to catch it. I catch them all the time at work and even yesterday i was rakeing some hay and had to stop to catch a huge garden snake. My wife hates them so you can guess what i did with the snake. I have killed a couple at one time or another. A water moccison and a corn snake. The just kept comeing after me and wouldnt leave me alone.

Opps story time:
I was in a well pit climbing out. On the side of the wall in the pit was a shelf that had 3 corn snakes on it. As i climbed out one of them bit me in the thigh and refused to let go. I jumped out of the well pit and had to pull him off my leg. He musta really liked me because he just kept fallowing me. Seems that a well pit is a good place for snakes because i found 27 more of them in the well pit afterwords.
Just one of those things i wont every forget. snake bit me in the thigh. I crapped my pants.. lmao

maybe to much info

Beckett :)

You need other options---Respect them greatly,don't run shreaking and flailing hands... DO run madly shreaking and flailing hands at the sight...Have attacked ropes and hoses thinking they may have been snakes. Will almost wreak the truck to run over one.
I'm not afraid enough to run,will kill one of any type if it won't let me alone,but watch out if I'm in the truck!

If I know they are there they don't bother me. Its normally the introduction that gets me. I never kill nonpoisonous snakes unless they have an attitude. Poisonous snakes I kill if there is a chance of a second meeting or if I think they could harm someone later on.

Ryder":34e4b6n7 said:
I detest them. It is my desire in life to kill everyone of them.
I voted not scared, but I am startled when I come upon one unexpected.
The ony good snake is a dead snake.

My feelings exactly. There was a steel T post around here bent in the shape of a U where I killed a black snake with it. My hand was bruised for two weeks.

Larry

larryshoat":r0q0nnkb said:
Ryder":r0q0nnkb said:

My feelings exactly. There was a steel T post around here bent in the shape of a U where I killed a black snake with it. My hand was bruised for two weeks.

Larry
Black rat snakes not are poisonous. So there was no need to kill it. :(

FarmGirl10":kmhbqt3k said:
larryshoat":kmhbqt3k said:
Ryder":kmhbqt3k said:

Larry
Black rat snakes not are poisonous. So there was no need to kill it. :(
Larry did the "right" thing. It was a snake and therefore that was the need to dispatch the creature.

don't think about them much as they are quite rare here,
3 real snakes:
The adder (Vipera berus) - the only poisonous one
The smooth snake (Coronella austriaca) - extremely rare in Britain
The grass snake (Natrix natrix) - quite common. The only one you are ever likely to see.

There is also the slow worm (Anguis fragilis), a legless lizard which looks like a stout snake and can sometimes be found breeding in compost heaps. Probably the most common British reptile.
so you see why I don't worry about the things. If I am abroad I respect the things but are not afraid of them. I used to own Two Pythons when I was married to my first Husband.

Ryder you would like Ireland as they are the only Country that has no native snakes at all. According to legend St Patrick on his return to the Emerald Isle banished them. below is a quote from the Fantasy of Ireland the Legend of St Patrick.

A big part of the legend of St Patrick is that he drove all the snakes out of Ireland forever. In this part of the legend of St Patrick, he filled the Emerald Isle with lush shamrock fields to keep the snakes from ever returning. People say that shamrocks would grow wherever St Patrick had preached.

An old Irish blessing says,

There's a dear little plant that grows in our isle,
'Twas Saint Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labor with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the mireland
And they call it the dear little Shamrock of Ireland

It is true that you won't find any snakes in Ireland. Believers in Irish folklore take this as proof that St Patrick indeed did banish all the serpents from the Emerald Isle.

This part of the legend of St Patrick is validated to some by the fact that snakes are never seen in fields of shamrocks anywhere in the world, and that shamrocks can indeed be used as a remedy for snake venom.

The question is whether or not they were ever there at all. Some scholars believe that there have never been snakes in Ireland. The more romantic folk believe St Patrick really did perform a Divine miracle and drove them out.

Actually most people these days realize that this part of the legend of St Patrick is probably just a metaphor for the fact that he did indeed drive out the pagan beliefs and rituals, which are commonly associated with snakes.

Jogeephus":2p7g9yt1 said:
If I know they are there they don't bother me. Its normally the introduction that gets me. I never kill nonpoisonous snakes unless they have an attitude. Poisonous snakes I kill if there is a chance of a second meeting or if I think they could harm someone later on.
Do you knly spray paint the nonpoisonous ones?

dun":3fdslfhq said:
Jogeephus":3fdslfhq said:
Do you knly spray paint the nonpoisonous ones?

:lol2: No, so far I've reserved my artistry for the pit vipers and the occassional wild angry momma pigs. If you ever see a wild hog in the woods with an indigo blue face - you will know she and I are already acquainted. :lol2:

Latest posts