Snakes are out

Help Support CattleToday:

Burns Junction would be a great neighborhood for finding rattle snakes. Not so much for finding people. Lots of open space on the map in that country. A dog from there should have some good working genetics.

If you went I-84 across into Idaho and then south on 95 you went right past our place. You can't see the house from the freeway but you can see our property if you know which hill to look at.

Burns Junction would be a great neighborhood for finding rattle snakes. Not so much for finding people. Lots of open space on the map in that country. A dog from there should have some good working genetics.

If you went I-84 across into Idaho and then south on 95 you went right past our place. You can't see the house from the freeway but you can see our property if you know which hill to look at.
That's the way I came home, are you near the exit with the closed down convenience store near baker city?

That's the way I came home, are you near the exit with the closed down convenience store near baker city?
Exit 327, the main Baker exit is 304. The closed down gas station and cafe are the only things that look like there may have been a business at one time between Farewell Bend and Baker City. Coming that way I would be about 5 miles by road to your left (about 3 miles as the crow flies).

I found a snake today, just a little Rubber Boa though... I'm glad we don't have any venomous snakes here, but there are rattlers across the river, we're on the "cool" side though.. Rubber boas are pretty cute

20200511_182547 snake.jpg

We have some rat snakes here, they're big, got some close to 6ft.. Anything that goes after mice and rats is a friend in my book
20150919_151401 snake.jpg

Pretty garter snake
IMG_6790.jpg

Lizard, about 6" long

18013006_10154301773561790_378189788 lizard.jpg
20180428_111857 lizard.jpg

This guy was IN my shop, just a wee little one!
20200904_134023 Lizard.jpg

I love your snakes and cute little lizards. It is great that you like them too.

This one got his last dog! My husband's fox hound got bit in the pen. She's not doing well. I hate 🐍 snakes so I ran for my shovel. This is the result. Eight rattlers and a button. If you put it back together, around 36". Eastern or Timber- what do you think?

Attachments

• 20220613_204141.jpg
    20220613_204141.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220613_204159.jpg
    20220613_204159.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20
  • 20220613_204152.jpg
    20220613_204152.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 20
I have only seen two snakes around the farm. One I ran over with the grain drill, and I didn't stop to see what it was; the next day it was already gone. The other was last year, and it had been run over on the road; I never stopped to see what it was either. I hate snakes.

There is a vaccine for rattle snake bites. Virtually every cow dog around here gets that vaccine every year. It has been cold and wet for May and June so the snakes aren't out too bad but pretty much everyone around here has killed a snake or three.
This morning I went to start water down a ditch which has been dry for several weeks. I went to move a tarp dam that was still in place from when I last irrigated there. When I pulled the tarp back there was a snake under it. It was 39 degrees this morning so it wasn't moving any where fast. But that is the number 1 place where people get snake bit here. They go to move a tarp dam which has been just setting. The snakes will get under them.

Dad had a horse that every spring would get bit on the nose, he would swell up and could hardly breath. They would just turn him out, later on he would be fine. I don't remember how long it took. One would think that he would have learned after getting bit to leave those things alone, but he never did. It would happen every year.

Dad had a horse that every spring would get bit on the nose, he would swell up and could hardly breath. They would just turn him out, later on he would be fine. I don't remember how long it took. One would think that he would have learned after getting bit to leave those things alone, but he never did. It would happen every year.
We had a jip that got bit like every year. She was a fierce mom. The last time she was bit on the face in 2 places. The vet figured she wouldn't make it through the night. The flesh on the side of her face rotted off. Her jaw and teeth were quite visible. She lived and we knicknamed her Terminator Mom. 🐕

We have lizards but they are so fast I doubt you could catch one without a trap of some kind.
Kangaroo mice too but not common.

Nice June day this afternoon so Patty the puppy and I went for a quad ride up the canyon to Cave Creek (about 5 miles). We saw 4 bull snakes, one doe, and a medium smallish rattler who met an early demise. Rattler was about 24 inches with 6 rattles and a button. It was in the middle of the road. I am a road hunter when it comes to snakes.

Got my 5th rattlesnake of the year this evening. Kind of a weird one. There was a baby rabbit right by the snake. The rabbit was too big and the snake too small for it to eat the rabbit. Patty was on the quad. I was worried she would jump off to go after the rabbit and get snake bit in the process. But she stayed on the quad. A small rattler barely 2 feet long with just 3 rattles. But it ain't going to get any bigger. The shovel scores once more. Oh, the rabbit went off about 10 feet and hid. Hopefully it hadn't been bit.

First rattler up close to the house in a couple years. Well it isn't coming back unless its name is Lazarus and gets raised from the dead. The dogs have both had the rattle snake shot but both stayed way back. In fact Rufus is flat out scared of them. Medium snake about 27 inches or so. With 7 rattles and a button. A 22 with snake shot works wonders on them. Tames them right down. This is the 4th I have got on our property this year. 20th overall.

P8022992.JPGP8022993.JPG

Latest posts