Snake Protection...

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":2qg23b1h said:
I'm sure everyone in two counties heard the sound of a woman screaming. When I finally regained my composure I cut a switch about 10 foot long and beat him till I couldn't beat him any longer. Then I rested and beat him some more till he wasn't nothing but a stain on the forest floor.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cry2: :lol2: :cry2: :lol2: :lol2:

Oh my gosh!!! I'm glad it ended well for you..... not so well for the snake! :lol2:

Katherine

That was the God's truth. What made it so bad was the ground was so clean and there was only a small mushroom shaped growth of honeysuckle and the snake was under that and out of sight. When I walked by it he struck me without so much as any warning at all. Thank God I had the chaps on but he literally hurt me with his force ..... well I might be stretching that a bit .... but it did fell like a child punched my leg ..... the pain was the overflow of adrenalin in my body when I saw this vile creature pulling himself back under the honeysuckle and then I screamed like a young'un. I almost wet my pants because I didn't know if he got me or not. I was so scared and then when the adrenalin backed off I got mad .... really really mad. There was no cause in him striking me. None whatsoever. It was as if he violated some law of nature or something and he needed killing. Just took me a while to find a switch long enough.

Jogeephus":z9qvwhnw said:
then when the adrenalin backed off I got mad .... really really mad. There was no cause in him striking me. None whatsoever. It was as if he violated some law of nature or something and he needed killing. Just took me a while to find a switch long enough.

Understandable! He struck without warning, no warning rattle or anything. That's just dirty. I completely understand the unwritten rules! I had a wasp do the same thing one time, out of nowhere, it flew onto my hand and ZAP then flew away.

I'm surprised that snake stuck around while you found a switch.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":py5rm578 said:
I'm surprised that snake stuck around while you found a switch.

It did take some time to find one long enough. I needed the ten footer for some reason. Snake wasn't but about 5 though.

Deepsouth":py5rm578 said:
Jo, my uncle was surveying one day and he saw an eastern diamondback knock a man down. Like you he was wearing leggings so he didn't get bit.

I wonder if it actually knocked him down or if he tripped over himself trying to get away. The latter would have been me.

The worst encounter I ever had was when I stepped right smack on the coil of a six foot diamondback with no protection at all. To this day I still can feel the roll of its body under my foot. Anyone who has stepped on a snake knows this unique feeling. Luckily I was young and spry and was making good time though the woods and by the time he recouped himself to strike I was out of range but he struck. In my mind's eye he only missed me by inches but in reality I think it was much further but the vision of him striking at me is seared in my brain. His head was as big as a man's fist and though I knew exactly what it was I thought he was Satan himself. Being young and stupid I actually pinned his head down and caught him. He was a man for sure and he fought me tooth and nail then I realized I was going to have to somehow let him loose. My mind conjured up all sorts of scary possibilities as I considered the best way to release him. This was actually one of the worst parts. I did finally find the nerve to release him but I think he was half way suffocated by the time I gained the nerve to do so and he was unable to wrap his tail around my wrist and snap back in midair and bight me in my face like I envisioned he could. He met his fate with the business end of a shovel and hung in my father's office for years.

One thing I should point out to Sky. Those leggons you like so much, you do know a good snake can bite above them don't you?

Jogeephus":1a14elwn said:
One thing I should point out to Sky. Those leggons you like so much, you do know a good snake can bite above them don't you?

Jo I sure do know it. Even on chaps they have a area for snake bite coverage and after that you are not protected I think the leggings cover more but not 100% certain.

Ryder":3tngrd08 said:
Jogeephus, Be honest. Don't you find killing them to be much more satisfying than painting them?

Not at all. Painting them brings out my artistic side and gives fair warning to others. I've used hundreds of gallons of paint in my life. Most of it on trees but I find spiders and snakes are nature's canvas and if you happen to see an angry blue faced sow walking the woods you'll surely recognize my work.

Jogeephus":tv1bv3sr said:
pdfangus":tv1bv3sr said:
ONE OF THEM BIG CANE BREAK RATTLERS WOULD NOT ONLY BITE YOU....LOOKS LIKE TO ME THEY ARE BIG ENOUGH TO BREAK YOUR LEG...

I was struck in the leg by a big timber rattler one day and it felt like someone hit my leg with their fist. I had chaps on so I wasn't bitten but venom or not I'm sure everyone in two counties heard the sound of a woman screaming. When I finally regained my composure I cut a switch about 10 foot long and beat him till I couldn't beat him any longer. Then I rested and beat him some more till he wasn't nothing but a stain on the forest floor.

No rattle, no warning just struck me. That ain't right but he won't make the same mistake twice.

You Joe, are truly an inspiration to all mankind. :tiphat: :tiphat:

Latest posts