Snake in the basement!......

Help Support CattleToday:

John SD

Reaction score
Ewww :yuck: .... I hate snakes! :shock: It's not my house, but in a friend's basement. :oops:

The snake was on a floor joist when I arrived. Tried to herd it into a plastic bucket with a short sorting stick but didn't get it anywhere close to the bucket.

The snake moved fast, down to the floor and slithered off behinds some stuff. Looked like a pretty full-sized adult garter snake from what I saw.

Maybe need to revise this plan and use more lethal methods that might be compatible to work in the basement. Sharp spade :?: :idea:

What about hitting the snake with a spray of ether? Would it knock the snake out, or put humans to sleep too? Then there's the explosive fire hazard to consider with the spade on concrete possibly creating sparks... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Never had to deal with this before, so picking smarter brains for :help:

12 ga with trap loads would work. You might want ear plugs.

Edit. I saw you wanted help so I answered. Then I saw you wanted help from smarter brains....... so forget the 12 ga answer.

If it's only a garter snake, leave it alone. They are excellent mousers and it will likely leave the same way it came in once it has checked out the groceries.

Green Creek":3fnn4krz said:
If it's only a garter snake, leave it alone. They are excellent mousers and it will likely leave the same way it came in once it has checked out the groceries.

The thing I'm concerned about is maybe the groceries are good enough that the snake will invite his friends in to shop! :shock:

Another :idea: I had, how about sticky traps for mice, think the larger ones would hold a snake :?:

John SD":1hdylxfw said:
Green Creek":1hdylxfw said:

The thing I'm concerned about is maybe the groceries are good enough that the snake will invite his friends in to shop! :shock:

Another :idea: I had, how about sticky traps for mice, think the larger ones would hold a snake :?:

They sure will. I have seen them used to deal with snakes in a dwelling.

Green Creek":17hmr7rj said:

agreed

I shot a pretty good sized (probably 4 feet) snake with .22 shot shells out of a 6 inch revolver.
Shot him twice and he wasn't running after that. For good measure I pounded on his head with a hoe.

Shells contain number 12 shot. Shot him on concrete patio and it didn't hurt anything except the snake.
Have been shooting those ugly brown lizards (skinks) the same way. Stops them dead.
Out of a hand gun you have to get up pretty close because those small shot spread out pretty wide.

If his wife is anything like mine just leave it - because he'll have to move anyway. Let the new owners deal with it.

I had two in my basement over the years. The first one was resting on a wooden shelf, so I shot it with a 22. The next one was lying on concrete steps, so I came down on it with a quick, hard lick with a hoe and cut it cleanly in two. After the second one, I caulked every crack and hole i could find. Luckily, I haven't seen anymore since.

Latest posts