Snake bite???

Help Support CattleToday:

This morning the calfs foots sore was down about the size of a quarter or a nickle and scabed over. Looking good.

ive seen them get prickly pears stuck in them but that results in a more localized swelling/abcess. the swelling with this (talking about my "freak footrot" cases) tends to extend a pretty good ways.

Here it is today.
100_2419.jpg

Haha Spectinomyicin again and La200. It has got better so fast I am not sure it is the meds. Beats me. One more experience I'll never use again.

I have a 3 month old calf with a hoof that looks a lot like that.
Happened about three days ago, he won't put any weight on it at all. I haven't done anything for it yet. It has been so hot and humid I'm afraid to mess with them very much. Me or them might have a heat stroke.
If it cools off I was going to run it up in the head chute and give it a shot of something and spray it with a disinfectant.
What do you think?
Or just leave it alone?

Dan

danl":3v3xy5qp said:
If it cools off I was going to run it up in the head chute and give it a shot of something and spray it with a disinfectant.
By the time the temperature is comfortable for you to work cattle, that calf may not be able to walk again. :roll:

Your calf's foot sure did inprove quickly, glad for you. I had a really good heifer a few years ago who's foot looked something like yours. Ended up taking her to the vet, he thought it was caused by a puncture wound that had gotten infected. Like Dun was talking about, when he lanced it the puss was really nasty, like a huge boil! Her foot healed up alright but she never did grow off like I thought she would, she ended up growing wheels.
;-)

Wasn't worried about me too much, the heat index here has been well over a 100 for days, was always told not to work cattle when it was that hot.
I don't have these gentle halter broke cattle that some have.
It's like a rodeo everytime I do anything.
I won't just be able to walk up to this calf and administer a shot and clean it up, it will be all of them or nothing.

When I got home from work it looked quit a bit better and it was putting some weight on it.
I looked it over a little better and mine's foot is not busted open like Ollie's. It is just swollen.
Dan

I went to give my calf a shot of LA200 and noticed it had expired Jan 2005,(the LA200 not the calf). I didn't know if it was still good, so I bought some at the feed store, I didn't have my glasses on and thought it said april 2008. I gave the calf a shot and looked at the bottle again with glasses and it had expired April 2003. Bought another bottle today it expires in 2007. (wore glasses)
Gave it another shot, it lunged and I broke the plunger off,(at least it wasn't the needle) ended up pushing it down with my little finger.
Anyway, I have the calf with the foot that looked similar to Ollies.
Started alternately treating it with diluted Iodine and straight bleach. It looks much better and it is putting weight on it most of the time. I don't know if the expired la200 worked or it was the iodine or just time.
Dan

Latest posts