Snake bite??

Help Support CattleToday:

AldacoCattle

Reaction score
Came to check on the cows and found this momma with a big lump on her shoulder and another one on her neck. This is on Tuesday and I was here Saturday and she was fine. Anyone seen this before? She's eating and walking fine. 589D6169-57B9-4136-9FF5-B217D9923594.jpeg

I don't know but she is a nice cow. Is she ultra black?

The one in the brisket would be related to the shoulder, fluid gravitates to the lowest point . I would suspect she has hit something or something has hit her and she has a big haematoma there.
Thanks for the info. Should I bring out a vet to lance it or just let it go down on it's own. I gave her some antibiotics just in case.

Thanks for the info. Should I bring out a vet to lance it or just let it go down on it's own. I gave her some antibiotics just in case.
I had a cow that had something very similar to that. Vet said we could lance it or give some anti-biotics. We opted for the antl's. Took about three weeks but it did go away and she is fine now.

I also had a similar situation a few years ago except the prominent lump was on the side of her face. Took her to the vet, suspecting possible lump jaw. Nope, just a bruise/hematoma, and pointed out where the edema was settling in her brisket, which would get worse before it got better. No need to lance unless it segued into an abscess, no need for antibiotics, she just needed time to heal.

@Ridgefarmer63 I'm curious why your vet suggested antibiotics. Was that only if you lanced it?

I also had a similar situation a few years ago except the prominent lump was on the side of her face. Took her to the vet, suspecting possible lump jaw. Nope, just a bruise/hematoma, and pointed out where the edema was settling in her brisket, which would get worse before it got better. No need to lance unless it segued into an abscess, no need for antibiotics, she just needed time to heal.

@Ridgefarmer63 I'm curious why your vet suggested antibiotics. Was that only if you lanced it?
If I remember correctly, we could lance it and give her a shot or just give her a shot. It was on her rear where you would normally see fat deposits on fatty cows, but this was the size of a volleyball. She gave her the shot and said just keep an eye on it. We figured she must have punctured the skin while rubbing against something and it got infected.

If I remember correctly, we could lance it and give her a shot or just give her a shot. It was on her rear where you would normally see fat deposits on fatty cows, but this was the size of a volleyball. She gave her the shot and said just keep an eye on it. We figured she must have punctured the skin while rubbing against something and it got infected.
Gotcha, thanks. An infection warrants antibiotics.

Thank you, that's good to hear. I'll keep an eye on her I'm glad to know it's nothing serious! 🙏🏽

If all appears normal with her I would just let her be. Maybe an 18g needle into the middle of it to confirm that there is no puss there. if all seems sterile I would not even give antibiotics. Antibiotics will not penetrate into the stagnant blood.

Ken

Latest posts