snaffle bits

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Lately i have heard people say not to use a snaffle until a horse is 5 years old, I guess I don't see why not

What do they, "people", recommend using then? In my opinion, a snaffle is one of the least intrusive bits. I believe the least amount of bit you can ride with the better. In theory, if you could get a horse to do everything you wanted with only a halter on, why even use a bit?

Did the "people" mention what kind of snaffle? Whole bunch of different kinds. I agree with TXBob

just a couple folks at a horse show... I never showed,just ride for pleasure and work so I am not up on the "in things" to do. I was just watching and B.S. ing

Maybe they're talking about using a bosal first.. that's typical with young horses. After they've mastered the bosal you graduate to a snaffle. "Snaffle bit furturities" are popular for young horses.. generally 2 and 3 year olds.

With the reining horses, they can't be shown in a snaffle after the age of 5, if I remember correctly. They have to be shown in a curb type of bit. Kind of curious as to what those people where talking about. Personally, I start all the colts in a snaffle. It's a pretty mild bit.
But you know how it goes, kind of like having kids or cattle...you get tons of advice (some good,some bad, some just right off the wall), but just end up using what works for your own situation.

TheBullLady":cp6nviok said:
Maybe they're talking about using a bosal first.. that's typical with young horses. After they've mastered the bosal you graduate to a snaffle. "Snaffle bit furturities" are popular for young horses.. generally 2 and 3 year olds.

The problem with not starting in a snaffle is it can take a colt a while to get use to a snaffle. When you switch they will play with the snaffle instead of paying attention. If a colt is going to be soft I use a rubber snaffle. Some of them are kinda big though.

Anonymous":36enc29w said:
Lately i have heard people say not to use a snaffle until a horse is 5 years old, I guess I don't see why not

Our friends who raise and train great quarterhorses always start their colts in an egg butt snaffle. We, too, start ours in an egg butt snaffle.

There are many different kinds of snaffle bits, and they can be pretty severe, depending on their diameter and attachment at the cheek.

As long as they stay soft mouthed and will work a snaffle or short shanked snaffle I use them- I have horses 20 years old that work as well on a snaffle as anything else- but they have been tought to neck rein instead of plow reining- will work with curb, spade or anything.

Never did agree with AQHA on why you couldn't use a bosal or hackamore or snaffle on older horses. Saw horses that could spin circles and do anything you want with a hackamore bit (mechanical)- but for some reason the powers to be outlawed them too.

I prefer to use a mechanical hackamore. So do my horses. I only use a bit if the horse isn't paying attention to the hackamore.

Use a Snaffle....its the stiff bite and curb chain you have to worry about...the most important aspect is your hands...don't be heavy handed..if you pull on them they will learn to pull on you.

Latest posts