snaffle bit

Help Support CattleToday:

Hillary_Indiana

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently got a snaffle bit from TSC to try out on our TW gelding who we've been having trouble with. I've never tried this kind with the circle rings on both sides...I'm not sure how to hook it up to the reins/bridle/lower lip strap. I was wondering if you all know of any good websites that show step by step how to hook all this stuff up. He didn't do so well with it today, but it could possibly be because I didn't hook it up right.

This is similar to what it looks like:
http://www.kyhorse.com/store/tack/reinsman/r223.jpg

Thanks guys

You have purchased an 'O-Ring' snaffle bit. The headstall and the reins attach to the 'O', and I am fairly certain that a chin strap is not used with this type of bit - at least I've never seen anyone use a chin strap with it. An O-Ring snaffle is generally used with young horses to teach responsiveness, bending, giving of the head, etc, due to the direct link between your hands and your horses mouth. It may not be the best choice for this particular horse because it tends to be a very 'gentle' (for lack of a better word) type of bit. It sounds like you are unfamiliar with this type of bit, so I am including the a link that explains how it works - no disrepect intended. You might want to consider looking into a moderate port curb bit with the shorter shanks for your horse - it may work better because it will give you more control, but not be harsh on your horses mouth. I don't know if you know this or not, but the longer the shanks the more pressure they put on your horses mouth so I would stay away from the longer shanks - they can really tear a horses mouth up. I hope this helps.

http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_tack/bit_advice.htm

Yes you have a "O" ring snaffle bit. MS pretty well covered the "O" part. If your pic of the bit is fairly accurate then you have a pretty busy bit. I say busy because of not knowing a better word. Looks like the bit has twists in it, plus it's a three piece, meaning, the two twisted parts on the outside and a link in the middle. If so that's alot of stuff going on inside the horses mouth, every little movment is going to cause lots of movement in every direction inside your horses mouth. I ride in a snaffle and use a 5 1/2 in "D" ring with a small (small in diameter) snaffle. No thrills, the snaffle is just connected in one spot in the middle. LIke the top bit shown.

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/tack/bits/dbits/

5 1/2 is the width of the mouth, make sure it's not too tight so it pinches the side of his mouth, or too loose so it slides from side to side. But with your bit having two pivot points and twist, it may to busy for your horse.

Alan

I think all any one needs is a heavy O ring smooth snaffle. Especially for green horses and riders. If you can learn to controle one in that you can controle one in any setup. Get their mouth and body soft is the key. I would recomend to some people to use a chin strap, or at least a string if you have a problem of pulling to hard. As one can pull the bit throught the horses mouth. But that goes back to soft and supple.

Scotty":2ik8o6z6 said:
I think all any one needs is a heavy O ring smooth snaffle. Especially for green horses and riders. If you can learn to controle one in that you can controle one in any setup. Get their mouth and body soft is the key. I would recomend to some people to use a chin strap, or at least a string if you have a problem of pulling to hard. As one can pull the bit throught the horses mouth. But that goes back to soft and supple.

For my education, define "heavy", do you mean large diameter or a heavy bit rather than a hollow lighter bit.

Thanks,
Alan

Scotty":1k1cqru9 said:

In a perfect world I would agree with you 100%, unfortunately there are a lot of horses who have been spoiled and have learned they can ignore a bit like an O-Ring snaffle. There are also a lot of heavy-handed riders who have ruined their horses mouth and that horse cannot feel the subtle pressure of this type of bit. I would venture to guess that there are even horses who, for whatever reason, don't like this type of bit.

Scotty":j9m8zgn3 said:
Yes, onethat has some weight to it. Been better for me anyway.

So smaller diameter and heavy or a hollow bit ... what is heavy?

Alan

Heavier meaning solid, one that has more mass and will usually be larger in diameter. I think if you have one that is suspect on ignoring the bit, ride it with a bridel. If you have the same results as the bit I would say it is not the bit. It is a lack of respect from the horse.

Scotty":356xj04i said:
Heavier meaning solid, one that has more mass and will usually be larger in diameter. I think if you have one that is suspect on ignoring the bit, ride it with a bridel. If you have the same results as the bit I would say it is not the bit. It is a lack of respect from the horse.

I assume you mean a bitless bridle.

3MR":1on99i4g said:
Scotty":1on99i4g said:

I assume you mean a bitless bridle.

Sidepull or regular halter. Snug it up tight and try it out.

In a perfect world I would agree with you 100%, unfortunately there are a lot of horses who have been spoiled and have learned they can ignore a bit like an O-Ring snaffle. There are also a lot of heavy-handed riders who have ruined their horses mouth and that horse cannot feel the subtle pressure of this type of bit. I would venture to guess that there are even horses who, for whatever reason, don't like this type of bit.[/quote]

The truth is that weather or not some one prefers a snaffle or a curb is that both bits are engeneered differnently for different functions because of how they apply pressure on the mouth. Trying to use a leverage bit for the purposes of the snaffle or using a direct pressure bit like the snaffle for all of the functions of the curb is a major mistake by most riders. Once the horse is trained good they should do fine in both. Most mistakes are made by keeping a snaffle going for too long, it is not made for flexion of the jaw and lowering the head and that is were it is over-used.

hayray":2ys61wda said:
Most mistakes are made by keeping a snaffle going for too long, it is not made for flexion of the jaw and lowering the head and that is were it is over-used.

Good points, hayray. Would you mind going into this in a little more depth, please? I don't know if it was right or wrong, but we generally only used a snaffle with a young horse and then introduced them to a low-port curb bit once they understood about reining and such things. Of course, at that time 'flexion' and 'giving' were unheard of, so I would be very interested in learning about some of these mistakes. Thanks!

msscamp":20zpmphd said:
hayray":20zpmphd said:
Most mistakes are made by keeping a snaffle going for too long, it is not made for flexion of the jaw and lowering the head and that is were it is over-used.

Good points, hayray. Would you mind going into this in a little more depth, please? I don't know if it was right or wrong, but we generally only used a snaffle with a young horse and then introduced them to a low-port curb bit once they understood about reining and such things. Of course, at that time 'flexion' and 'giving' were unheard of, so I would be very interested in learning about some of these mistakes. Thanks!

Yes, you would be correct about the snaffle usage. A young horse has no concept of contact and giving so therefore you use the snaffle because is has different levels of contact that the horse can get used to, a curb generally does not, it operates from downward pressure on the bars and that is it - if using the curb to pull a head up then that is called "false action of the curb" -

consequently if you are using the snaffle for lowering the head too far than that is called false action of the snaffle because the snaffle has already bottomed out in the mouth and at that point nuck crakering the tounge and bars because the snaffle has 3 modes of intensity -

1st - because the mouth piece is hinged the left and right sides can act independently for lateral pressure to rein left or right - the curb not being hinged mouth piece does not act independently from left side to right.

- 2nd - when pulling back with both reins the snaffle raises up in the cheek and acts to elevate the head and neck

- 3rd - when more pressure is used than is needed to pull the snaffle up in the cheeks for elevation - the mouthpiece because it is jointed and because it is binding against the cheeks and can no longer rise any further - then bottoms out and colapses on the jaw and pinches the tounge against the bars - this is the false snaffle action and is when most people are over-using the snaffle. At this point you may get a lot of resistance or you can use this to your benefit and allow the horse to use it's natural instinct to lean against constant pressure and stretch into the bit - like a race horse - they are trained to stretch in to the bit and there by increasing their frame length witch helps to increase length of stride that when combined with frequency of stride = speed. The race horse is actually ridden off of the jockeys hands and not the legs, this is what happens on a runaway horse.

Easier to use steps one and two and then use the curb for jaw and poll flexion with the horse is ready for it - the training just goes much smoother and faster because the horse understands these natural pressure points better. Most well trained horses after learning the basics are then rode on looser reins in curb bits as mentioned before it's mode of action is more of a on and off then a light contact and tend to go better that way. The aids should be active, passive, or maintaing.

msscamp":1sq7zh0r said:
Thank you very much, hayray! :D That helps a lot!

Glad you appreciated it. You are always giving such good advice and looking up info. for people that I am glad I can contribute once in a while.

Ray

hayray":bpbl4bp4 said:
msscamp":bpbl4bp4 said:
Thank you very much, hayray! :D That helps a lot!

Glad you appreciated it. You are always giving such good advice and looking up info. for people that I am glad I can contribute once in a while.

Ray

I very much appreciate your help, and you contribute way more than 'once in a while', too. ;-) :)

Latest posts