Smoking Salmon and Tulibees!

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
Last weekend I made a batch of smoked salmon/trout and smoked tulibees.

There is over 25 fish in this smoker alone.
smokingfish_zpsbc22e84b.jpg

Smoked Salmon
smokedsalmon_zps6207ffc8.jpg

Smoked Tulibees.
smokedwhitefish_zps4d162066.jpg

I brined them for 24 hours with kosher salt. After 24 hours, remove them from the brine and dry the fish with the paper towel. Add brown sugar and maple syrup to the fish for more flavor. I left them in the smoker for 4-6 hours depends on the thickness of fish.

Jogeephus":3ngtoynn said:
Those look nice. Never heard of a tulibee.
The tulibee looks like whitefish but in smaller scale. No taste difference between these two. They are coldwater fish that can be only found in up north.

Ever tried adding some molasses to your brine? I am curing bacon now and I am using a molasses wet cure that will add a nice sweetness to the bacon when its cooked.

3waycross":1m3h1jja said:
Taurus":1m3h1jja said:
Nope, tho I might try the molasses on trout one day. Need to smoking the wild turkey soon.

HOw do you keep them from drying out?
It has been awhile since I smoked a wild turkey few years ago. I did brined them in the water with kosher salt for 24 hours then injected melted butter into them before I put the turkey into the smoker. I put bacon on the breast region to keep the breast stay moist. But then again, these turkeys I took during fall turkey season were usually hens and juveniles which are tasty and tender in my opinion. This time I got my first spring tom I took last spring. He looks very lean when compared to the turkeys in fall season so I thinks maybe injecting more butter in him?

Those look great! I also had to google Tulibees. I like smoke salmon but have done two batches of smoke Cod, it's my new favorite smoked fish. If you have a chance you should try some cod! When I was younger I use to smoke jerky and salmon and trout in my "little chief" smoker, it's good to get back at it now.

Thanks for the pics.

Alan

Alan":1p2ip659 said:
Those look great! I also had to google Tulibees. I like smoke salmon but have done two batches of smoke Cod, it's my new favorite smoked fish. If you have a chance you should try some cod! When I was younger I use to smoke jerky and salmon and trout in my "little chief" smoker, it's good to get back at it now.

Thanks for the pics.

Alan
I never tried smoked cod before but sounds like it's another smoking food project for me. I don't think I ever seen a whole cod for sale at the super market..perhaps at fish markets?

Yup, I wait until Cod goes on sale for $3.99 a lb here. It's Alaskan cod, but I make deep fried fish and chips and now smoked cod out of it....... Good Eats!

Latest posts