Smoking Deer Brauts

Help Support CattleToday:

mridgecattleco

Reaction score
Yesterday I had to cook some homemade deer brauts before they went bad in the fridge. I'm outta charcoal, and gas for my grills and didn't wanna start a wood fire for 4 brauts. I threw em in my electric smoker with some hickory and walked away. They turned out delicios! Only problem I have now is that I only have 2 pacs of em left and bow season is 2 months away!

alisonb":2tt5y0g8 said:
What on earth are 'brauts'? I will have to google it.....
Alison....nothing more than a yankee trying to describe a sausage....this time with venison (deer meat) in it and a few spices.

Alison, Brauts are sausage, as in Bratwurst but like TB said with a spin on the word.

This article is about the German sausage. For the similarly named Dutch sausage, see Braadworst.

Variety of Bratwürste on a stall at the Hauptmarkt in Nuremberg
A Bratwurst [ˈbʁaːtvʊɐ̯st] ( listen) is a sausage usually composed of veal, pork or beef. The plural is Bratwürste.

The name is German, derived from Old High German brätwurst, from brät-, which is finely chopped meat and -wurst, or sausage. Though the brat in bratwurst described the way the sausages are made, nowadays Germans associate it with German verb "braten", which means to pan fry or roast.[1] Bratwurst is usually grilled or pan fried, and sometimes cooked in broth or beer

Thanks TB and HD- sounds a bit like our 'boerewors' this side, we also use a variation of meats with lots of spices. If you are ever in SA you have to try it :D .

alisonb":1v84wdzb said:
Thanks TB and HD- sounds a bit like our 'boerewors' this side, we also use a variation of meats with lots of spices. If you are ever in SA you have to try it :D .
Hel Alison, I'm so broke I can't even make it to S. Texas. :lol2:

alisonb":fup5rsmr said:
TexasBred":fup5rsmr said:
Hel Alison, I'm so broke I can't even make it to S. Texas.
:lol:
Our boerewors is not smoked so it is not the same thing, my mistake :oops:

Real Brats are not smoked either . ;-)
Your boerewors is very much like the german or dutch brats Alison. Does that translates to English as Farmers sausage ?

HD-If you directly translate to English yes it will be 'farmer's sausage' but I can't say I have ever heard it called that even in your most English homes. My first language is English and we have always referred to it as what it is, 'boerewors or boerrie'. The boers used to make it and put it full of spices and vinegar to preserve it. It's really good stuff though. :D

Latest posts