Smoked/grilled meats

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
One is the guys smoked a brisket tonight which we ate about 900. At around 100 I started getting a head ache and generally sick at my stomach. This is not the first time it's happened. It has happened just about every time I've eaten smoked food for years. It's happened when I've grilled but not always. Does this happen to anybody else?

:lol2: how much alcohol you "merinate" it in........ :secret:

Hasn't happened in a long time but I've had it happen.

Been doing BBQ a long time and never had this happen, although a heavily smoked brisket will sometimes make me belch all night.

Farm Fence Solutions":1pqw0nhr said:
MSG in the dry rub can be pretty ugly for ones that are sensitive to it.
I cant eat MSG, although I've read reports saying it has no effect on people...I beg the differ.. I feel terrible after eating it.

Craig Miller":1julo4uj said:
One is the guys smoked a brisket tonight which we ate about 900. At around 100 I started getting a head ache and generally sick at my stomach. This is not the first time it's happened. It has happened just about every time I've eaten smoked food for years. It's happened when I've grilled but not always. Does this happen to anybody else?

As odd as it might sound, if I eat what I consider true barbecue, where the meat is cooked directly over coals, if anything I get only slight indigestion from it. On the other hand, if the meat was smoked, with the coals in a firebox, I get terrible heartburn. Since you have lesser symptoms when you grill it makes perfect sense to me.

I know it sounds rediculous. I checked Google to see if I had some new symptom I could sell to a big pharmacy group. I guess it happens to a lot of people because Google knew what I was going to type before I did. I don't eat msg if I can avoid because it is a migraine trigger. It's possible the guy used some sort of marinate with last night though. I found from reading this morning most people saying food with a real heavy smoke does it. Make sense.....i guess

Any chance you still have a gall bladder? When mine was going bad it a was eating BBQ that triggered the symptoms. It was the fat in the meat that was my problem.

Smoking with green wood, wet wood or not allowing the wood to burn down good creates a bitter smoke IMO.
When I've done that it gives me heartburn.
I've never had a problem if I load up the grill/smoker with lots of wood and let it burn down to coals and I no longer cal smell the bitter smoke.
But that's mesquite in the dry SW
I did have some issues in NE Oklahoma.
I couldn't even get charcoal to burn good there due to the high humidity

M.Magis":3j1xevfs said:
Any chance you still have a gall bladder? When mine was going bad it a was eating BBQ that triggered the symptoms. It was the fat in the meat that was my problem.

Still have all my parts

That must suck but I share your love for smoked meats because if it made me sick I'd still eat it occasionally too.

Cross-7":18k87hz2 said:
Smoking with green wood, wet wood or not allowing the wood to burn down good creates a bitter smoke IMO.
When I've done that it gives me heartburn.
I've never had a problem if I load up the grill/smoker with lots of wood and let it burn down to coals and I no longer cal smell the bitter smoke.
But that's mesquite in the dry SW
I did have some issues in NE Oklahoma.
I couldn't even get charcoal to burn good there due to the high humidity
I'm in agreement with what you just said. I burn a mixture of green and dry hickory or oak in. A fire barrel and and then shovel coals into my cooker. I put the coals on one side of my cooker and the meat on the other so the coals are not under the meat. I use to "stick burn"(smoke), but a lot of people can't take the strong smokey taste (especially Yankees). My son still "stick burns" , but he uses well cured (2 years) wood and will not burn any wood with exposed bark.

I have never been able to figure out why but smoked beef make me sick as a dog. Pork prepared with the same rub and smoked with the same wood does not bother me at all. The bad part about it is beef is my favorite of the two.

Never had smoked meats bother me although I'm 38 so still probably think I am invincible to some things. I'm into smoking and only do charcoal with dry wood in an offset smoker. Takes a lot of time and effort to keep a low and slow temp but well worth the end result. The key to a good smoke is knowing that most of the smoke flavor is absorbed in the first 2+ hours. After that it is all about keeping an eye on temp and knowing when its time to pull the meat and let it rest before you serve or with some cuts wrapping it in foil so the juices keep it tender. I try to not go heavy on Hickory as it has the most impurities and stick to fruit woods that are dry like apple or cherry and preferably if I can find it peach wood makes the best flavor. I will add a little pecan and hickory sometimes but fruit wood adds the best flavor.

With steaks I always grill over charcoal and have a hot and cool zone. Will sear each side on the hot zone then finish the cook on the cool zone. Season to taste but the best thing to do is add seasoning right before you put it on the grill. If you season it too soon if there is a lot of salt it pulls the moisture from it the longer it sits. Pork is different, the longer you let the rub sit the more flavor the cut will take in. Meat is not that forgiving if you don't manage your fire properly. You can always salvage under cooked meat with some more heat but you can't undo overcooked meat from a heat source that was too hot. Low and slow is the way to go and it may take longer but as long as you have some cold beverages nearby its worth the wait.

maybe because there is too much fat in the meat? there are times that i experience acid reflux after eating BBQ

I have smoked different cuts of meat over the years on different heat source types. For a wood smoker, my favorite is the type with the fire on the end of the smoker, so the heat is indirect. I use seasoned oak as I think hickory has a sharper taste. I will soak a couple of sticks or so in water overnight for the smoke. The most I have done at one time was 40# of ribs, brisket, and chickens. With indirect heat, you need to rotate the meat from the fireside to the other end about every half hour or it will get done faster and burn. I keep the temp 200-250 for half hour per pound of each cut of meat. The meat will usually not take more smoke after 2 hours and start to dry out, so I always wrap at that point. At the wrapping stage, I will often add wine or bourbon for steam and flavor, alcohol evaporates at 170*.
Since I moved to this location I don't have access to oak timber and have to buy it. So when my neighbor bought one of those Egg smokers [$1500], I bought his 2 yr old like new electric smoker. I am hooked on them now. You have add water-soaked smoke chips about every half hour or so. Other than that, plug it in set the temp, set the timer, put in the smoke chips and forget it.

BillInSpgfMo":2jxqts10 said:
I have smoked different cuts of meat over the years on different heat source types. For a wood smoker, my favorite is the type with the fire on the end of the smoker, so the heat is indirect. I use seasoned oak as I think hickory has a sharper taste. I will soak a couple of sticks or so in water overnight for the smoke. The most I have done at one time was 40# of ribs, brisket, and chickens. With indirect heat, you need to rotate the meat from the fireside to the other end about every half hour or it will get done faster and burn. I keep the temp 200-250 for half hour per pound of each cut of meat. The meat will usually not take more smoke after 2 hours and start to dry out, so I always wrap at that point. At the wrapping stage, I will often add wine or bourbon for steam and flavor, alcohol evaporates at 170*.
Since I moved to this location I don't have access to oak timber and have to buy it. So when my neighbor bought one of those Egg smokers [$1500], I bought his 2 yr old like new electric smoker. I am hooked on them now. You have add water-soaked smoke chips about every half hour or so. Other than that, plug it in set the temp, set the timer, put in the smoke chips and forget it.

:welcome: Bill!

Today's lunch. I told the guys since we were told we weren't getting a raise anytime soon the boloney is all I could afford. Got some budan to go along with it and wrapped jalapenos

Craig Miller":1ep9qrcj said:
Today's lunch. I told the guys since we were told we weren't getting a raise anytime soon the boloney is all I could afford. Got some budan to go along with it and wrapped jalapenos
Each in tin foil........did you cook it like we used to......on the diesel eng exhaust manifolds?

Latest posts