Smoke

Help Support CattleToday:

*Cowgirl*

Reaction score
We had a house fire on Friday....Not much fire damage, but a ton of smoke and water damage. I've laundered my clothes, but they still smell, and some appear to be stained....Any tips for getting rid of it? The adjuster is coming tomorrow, so hopefully we'll have a cleaning crew come in soon...I have asthma and this smoky house is just not good. :cowboy:

Few years back I had a kitchen fire that took out the kitchen without any structural damage but soot and smoke with all throught the house. Total repaint and carpeting is about the only cure.

May have to wash clothes severl times (away from the house so they do not pick up the smell again) Using a good liquid fabric softener should work (if you can take the smell of the fabric softener). Bleach with any thing you can.

If you can find some Frebreeze that is added to the fabric softener you can try that.
Had a fire in my son's room. Pretty much everything was totaled out. I was able to salvage his bed sheets and all of his clothes.

Just a warning from experience. Watch the cleaning crew. Ask your insurance agent about their reputation. Talk to others who had them in their house.
The crew that is coming to do repairs also need to be watched.
I ended up firing the crew that was suppose to be re storing my son's room. They showed up late around 10:30-11am. Left early, 3pm. Just could not get these guys to get to work. refused to take down the ceiling, husband did it. we did alot of the work. Fired them after just 3 days and hired a carpentar I knew. He had the room done in 3 days.
The cleaning ladies I hired were just a bit better, but not by much. Found soot and smoke damage behind my curio and chins hutch. Also on top of them.

Keep track of when they come in and when they leave. Take before pics too. The repair guys tried to charge for 5 days instead of the 3 days they were there and for a full 8 hours of work that was not done. turned over my facts to our agent and found out they were known crooks.

Good luck.

Had a friend who had a house fire once and anything that was smoke/water damaged was replaced under his insurance policy. I wouldn't try to clean anything till the insurance adjuster looked at everyting. What caused the fire ?

Sorry to hear that, hope all goes well with the loss adjuster, once he/she has been and you wash your clothes again try a couple of spoonfuls of bicarbonate of soda or washing soda in with the washing powder. and line dry. Hope it helps.

Latest posts