Smeared blood on rear of heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

TNTLivestock

Reaction score
Went out to the barn to clean out stalls and saw a little bit of blood on some fresh stool. I had just fed the cattle so I walked out along them and found one of the heifers with some smeared blood on her bottom, kind of has mucus with it. It's not a lot but what would cause it? The droppings were normal, she doesn't appear sick, eating well. She is 1 1/2 years old and unbred. Any ideas?

I had a 600# steer not too long ago with the same initial sympton... had called the vet, and he said to watch over the next 24 hours and see if any additional blood was seen. Vet possibly thought with only one instance of small amount of blood, could of been a burst hemmoroid. As it turned out he was experiencing some diarrhea that ended with a small rectal prolapse that was healed through surgical stitches.

Could be a multitude of things, and I am not very experienced, in fact this has been the only instance with a non-pregnant animal showing signs of a bloody hind-end.

Good luck!

Michele

Unless there was a lot of blood I would say she was in heat 2-3 days ago.

dun

dun":39h3d1gb said:
Unless there was a lot of blood I would say she was in heat 2-3 days ago.

dun

I like your answer better! That's what I get for sleeping 3 hours last night, been up since 2:30 am crunching numbers and come to the boards for some relief.... better to keep my fingers(mouth) shut :shock:

Michele

Season....
Keep an eye on her, bet she does it again in about three weeks.
Brought a replacement home last summer and thought that she aborted from the amount of blood, most I've ever seen. Nineteen days later she did it again and had a date with our AI guy...hasn't bled since...due May 30th.
Just my two bits worth...Dmc

Well, my initial thought was a heat cycle when I saw the blood in the barn but when I saw it on the heifers rear, I was a little worried. I've seen the blood/mucus on rears before when their in heat but never this much. As I said, it wasnt a huge amount, just more than what I've ever seen before.

I was able to talk to our vet and his answer was nearly word for word with Dun and Dmc. The vet did add that some heifer/cows will expel what looks like a lot of blood when in heat, others little or none. No reason to be concerned unless the bleeding continues/gets worse or she starts showing signs of illness; depression, off feed, changes in stool, etc.

Thanks for the replies everyone. As usual, your advice was right on!

Latest posts