Smallest Heifers???

Help Support CattleToday:

ScottyB

Reaction score
I just got wondering what are some of yall's smallest heifers to give an unassisted birth? And what were the calf weights?

I was at the sale barn last saturday down here, and there are quite a bit of 600 lb heifers that are 5-8 months bred coming through, just wondering the risk involved in purchasing one of these mistakes.

Unless they are jersey heifers bred to a jersey bull the risk is too big for me to take.

KNERSIE":2zlsl3g9 said:
Unless they are jersey heifers bred to a jersey bull the risk is too big for me to take.

Knersie....you know those small bred heifers are ALWAYS bred to a longhorn or a low birthweight black bull. :mad:

TexasBred":13trcr4k said:
KNERSIE":13trcr4k said:

Knersie....you know those small bred heifers are ALWAYS bred to a longhorn or a low birthweight black bull. :mad:

...untill calving time? :help:

Scotty, What ever you do, DON'T GET INTO IT. no way will you come out on a deal like that.

TexasBred":mhlmb886 said:
KNERSIE":mhlmb886 said:

I got some in a swap once that were bred to a charolais not the angus they had claimed. He said well I used a young bull so the calves woiuld be smaller. Only ended up losing one heifer of 5 from the deal.

Short answer: too high risk.

Unless they are jersey heifers bred to a jersey bull the risk is too big for me to take

Just for interest's sake. I have Jersey heifers about 5 months bred to a Jersey bull at their last weighing. My lightest heifer on that weigh was 290kg (640 lb), the average was about 335 kg (740 lb). The heifers are old enough, but were ill-managed during drought and the lightest three (200 - 210kg or 440lb at mating) were held back for a month - so are only a max of 4 months preg.
I've spoken to a couple of vets about the chances of these poorly grown heifers, and they all say that they'll conceive and calve all right, but struggle to get back in calf a second time with the added stress of lactation/catch-up growth. Their mature weight (if not stunted by being too small at mating) will be around 400 kg (900lb)

I've only been around for the calving of one early-bred heifer. She was much larger - an Angus, bred (to Angus) at 9 months old. We pulled that calf. Mother and calf were okay.

dun":h2jzjysd said:
TexasBred":h2jzjysd said:
KNERSIE":h2jzjysd said:

I got some in a swap once that were bred to a charolais not the angus they had claimed. He said well I used a young bull so the calves woiuld be smaller. Only ended up losing one heifer of 5 from the deal.

:lol2: Uh huh, there's the trouble.

i would not touch those heifers.as said you would most likely have major calving probs with them.

Thanks for the info, just trying to weigh the risk involved in this. I do believe my question was answered.

I just had a heifer that weights probably about 650lbs. have a calf unexpectedly. We got her about 5 months ago and she wasn't supposed to be bread, but you know how that goes. She had hers totally unassisted and it weighted about 65lbs. Very small, but that is what she needed and they are both doing great.

well, we had a heifer calf at about 15 months old once... I guess the calf was about 45-55 lbs, she did it on her own, she had no choice, since we sure weren't expecting her to calf... she's 5 years old now and expecting her 4th calf.. mind you, the first calf was only about 350 lbs at weaning, and she's had a bit a hard time to grow herself, but as long as she has a calf every year we'll keep her

from the sounds of it, you wanting to buy bred calves, DON'T... they'll never produce, you'll have higher losses, and the list goes on. and NEVER believe what someone says about what heifers are bred to unless they're small producers who only have 1 bull, or every bull they have is PROVEN to have low BW's.. considering the size of the calves we're getting from this bull, we're glad to breed at 2 years old, we've had several heifers with 110lb BW calves now, and no losses.

Latest posts