Smallest calf ever for us.

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not sure if we can catch her to weigh her, but I think we'll give it a try. My guess is she's not over 40 lbs. No consistency at all with this calf, she even has a little white on her belly.

I believe most people underestimate the weight of their calves. I often see people on here claiming their bull throws all 70 pound calves even though they haven't actually put any on the scale. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of the people claiming weights of 70 to 75 would be surprised to find those calves are actually about 10 pounds heavier. A 70 pound calf is really tiny next to the average size cow.

She doesn't have to wean at 1700 pounds to turn a profit! She may be 100 pounds back from average at weaning, but the buyers may be paying more for light calves that week. She's alive. And apparently healthy. That's a good start.

Always rember when I watched 80 heifers calving for a friend.
Had one that couldn't reach the heifers tit, he was so small. I was determined he would survive.
Spent several days making sure. When Lance got back, he named him 6 pack because of the beer bottles laying around.
Think he weighed 275 as a yearling!!! GS

I have one due to calve in a couple of weeks, her birthweight was 19kg and was 30 days early. I did not supplement her nor help her. She went onto wean as one of my heaviest calves. She did have that extra 30 days to catch up with the others.

Ken

True Grit Farms said:
She's 52lbs using a bathroom scale. Apparently we need to weigh a few more of our calves.
I've used a bathroom scale and was traumatized when the number jumped close to a deuce. Plus, I have no business holding a 75+ lb calf. But don't underestimate the little ones!! Two of my best cows were 40 and 40.8 lb preemies (vet weighed them) and subsequent orphans. One is now 8 with her 7th calf, the other is 5 with her 4th. You can't tell.

Latest posts