Small WV farm

Help Support CattleToday:

FullCircleWVa

Reaction score
Hey all, have been reading the forum for a good bit and finally made an account. Have found lots of good information so far!

Little about me. First generation "farmer", 31 year old located in central West Virginia, I bought this place about 2 years ago now. I have always thought it would be good fun to be a steward of the land. This is all new to me, but with my fathers help I was able to get all the fence fixed on this place as well as build a loafing barn if you will, that has a corral and head chute attached to it. I have done my research on alot but have yet to experience most (any) lol.

I currently am running 12 head total - feeding 4 steers out for Dec slaughter. I also have two black cows due to calve in the next week or so (they have been springing for a week or so, one is now making milk in rear two quarters) After they calve I am going to hold them back into a spring schedule and breed them in June-ish. I have a red cow with an April heifer calf that I'm about to wean and retain, along with a BWF with a RWF steer calf I'm going to keep for the freezer. Both the red and bwf are bred back for April-May calving (red bred to simmental and bwf to neighbors angus after she came back in heat thinking i bought her bred) We are also running two heifers that we plan to breed in June with the other cows.

I appreciate every ones post so far and I promise to search my questions before posting along ;) I'll let you all know when we have our first calves

Hey all, have been reading the forum for a good bit and finally made an account. Have found lots of good information so far!

Little about me. First generation "farmer", 31 year old located in central West Virginia, I bought this place about 2 years ago now. I have always thought it would be good fun to be a steward of the land. This is all new to me, but with my fathers help I was able to get all the fence fixed on this place as well as build a loafing barn if you will, that has a corral and head chute attached to it. I have done my research on alot but have yet to experience most (any) lol.

I currently am running 12 head total - feeding 4 steers out for Dec slaughter. I also have two black cows due to calve in the next week or so (they have been springing for a week or so, one is now making milk in rear two quarters) After they calve I am going to hold them back into a spring schedule and breed them in June-ish. I have a red cow with an April heifer calf that I'm about to wean and retain, along with a BWF with a RWF steer calf I'm going to keep for the freezer. Both the red and bwf are bred back for April-May calving (red bred to simmental and bwf to neighbors angus after she came back in heat thinking i bought her bred) We are also running two heifers that we plan to breed in June with the other cows.

I appreciate every ones post so far and I promise to search my questions before posting along ;) I'll let you all know when we have our first calves
Welcome Full, sounds like you are full of enthusiasm. I am sure things will go well for you.

Ken

Welcome Full, sounds like you are full of enthusiasm. I am sure things will go well for you.

Ken
Thanks Ken. Glad to be here. I am anxious about all of it but they have what they need so just letting nature do its will. I'm a very passionate person, as are most on here I imagine.

Welcome from the Shenandoah Valley in Va. I started out with a couple of dairy cross calves MANY years ago. I still like my milk cows but we run a cow/calf operation and son has branched out to buying some bull feeder calves, castrate and then put together some groups of weaned and conditioned steers for sale. I use some of my cows as nurse cows and milk for the house. Just had both knees replaced so will be a bit before I am back to doing what I used to do... Looking forward to spring.

Welcome

What does your name mean?
Thanks HD. The name is what I was able to come up with for a farm name. Full Circle Farm.. Have kind of always wanted to do this, so things are coming 'Full Circle'. May change the name one day if things change or something sticks, but the tax people needed a name lol

Latest posts