Small tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":1g55fg60 said:
Son of Butch":1g55fg60 said:
bmcdonald":1g55fg60 said:
Its a piece of junk, fuel injector pump, power steering and a wheel seal leak
Ya need to work on your sales pitch, ya probably scared Kingfisher off from buying it. :)
What color is it? :). Fuel injection pump prolly misdiagnosed
Wheel seal leaking? Fill up differential ...and I don't need no sissy power steering to put out hay! :)
Alrighty then. Looks like the sale is back on. :clap: Reel him in bmcdonald reel him in.
And don't forget to send me 6% of the gross for settin' it up for you to knock it down.
Now Don't blow it again bmc .... :pop:

I used a truck bed mounted bale spike for years before I got a tractor reliable enough to move hay

Nesikep":2gvx3uy4 said:
What about something like an old Massey 35? Slightly bigger an IH 574 has plenty of power to lift a bale, and if you have a bale spear on 3 pt you don't need 4x4 in most cases.. Just about any tractor will lift a bale on the back if you have the weight in the front.
Yep--you can always steer with the brakes.

skyhightree1":ompqh9os said:
Below is your tractors specs have you tried to lift a bale with it yet?

3-Point Hitch:

Rear Type: I

Rear lift (at ends): 1,998 lbs [906 kg]

Rear lift (at 24"/610mm):

:cowboy:
I dunno--that L3200 is not a very big tractor--close to a compact.
g749.jpg

Every compact we sold at the Kubota dealership, we pushed for the buyer to get a FEL with it because they were so light on the front.

When my FEL broke down, I moved 4x5 round bales with a little 20hp Case VAC. I ran a bar (I think it's only like a 1/2 or 3/4" round) through the center of the bale and used a spreader chain hooked to the drawbar. I drilled two holes in the bar for hairpin clips and used washers to keep the chain from coming off the ends of the rebar. It works good for towing the round bales around and they roll right along. Works good for unrolling them too. If the bales are too tight to push the bar through by hand, tap it with a 5 pound hammer and it goes right through.

rla442":2580tj1x said:
When my FEL broke down, I moved 4x5 round bales with a little 20hp Case VAC. I ran a bar (I think it's only like a 1/2 or 3/4" round) through the center of the bale and used a spreader chain hooked to the drawbar. I drilled two holes in the bar for hairpin clips and used washers to keep the chain from coming off the ends of the rebar. It works good for towing the round bales around and they roll right along. Works good for unrolling them too. If the bales are too tight to push the bar through by hand, tap it with a 5 pound hammer and it goes right through.

That's way too much work. :lol:

skyhightree1":sueklp8g said:
rla442":sueklp8g said:

That's way too much work. :lol:

I have done that it is a lot easier than you might think. I used a pickup to pull the bales. I fed a lot of 4x5 rounds with a 8N and a 3 point spear. Gives the 8N power steering. Once in a while I would pop a wheelie. But just take your time and just lift the bales a few inches off the ground it worked fine.

slick4591":3mq1y5zj said:
You guys need to stop using that car hood idea cause I'm pretty sure Chevy had a patent on that
Didn't she have video of that hood sliding around a curve with a bale of hay aboard?

I used a truck hood behind oxen as a stone boat for years, really works slick

greybeard":2tvf00o0 said:
slick4591":2tvf00o0 said:
You guys need to stop using that car hood idea cause I'm pretty sure Chevy had a patent on that
Didn't she have video of that hood sliding around a curve with a bale of hay aboard?

I don't remember a video, but it wouldn't surprise me. Do remember something about it rolling off and having problems getting it back on.

bmcdonald":1u108ie9 said:
skyhightree1":1u108ie9 said:
Depends on the tractor you are using to lift. What model is it? What size bales etc? I still move bales by rolling on a car hood and dragging with the ranger or 4 wheeler if extremely muddy and don't want to rut out the field that may be a option.
Its a kubota l3200 with strong hydraulic i guess i could rig up something like sky
Oh and 4x5 bales or 5x5 bales

You guys are hilarious
My husband has a Kubota L3130 grand and it picks up 1200-1400 pound bales just fine. It won't do the 4x4x8 1 ton bales very well at all. But the lighter ones it moves good. He can stack them too in 3 high stacks in our barn. He has to install his backhoe on the 3 point for counter balance. Its a 32 horse power and has a lifting capacity on the front end loader of 1800lbs.

Duramaxgirl":wojy7mlx said:
bmcdonald":wojy7mlx said:
skyhightree1":wojy7mlx said:
Depends on the tractor you are using to lift. What model is it? What size bales etc? I still move bales by rolling on a car hood and dragging with the ranger or 4 wheeler if extremely muddy and don't want to rut out the field that may be a option.
Its a kubota l3200 with strong hydraulic i guess i could rig up something like sky

You guys are hilarious
My husband has a Kubota L3130 grand and it picks up 1200-1400 pound bales just fine. It won't do the 4x4x8 1 ton bales very well at all. But the lighter ones it moves good. He can stack them too in 3 high stacks in our barn. He has to install his backhoe on the 3 point for counter balance. Its a 32 horse power and has a lifting capacity on the front end loader of 1800lbs.
Sometimes it isn;t the weight, it's the stability. Longer and wider is better for moving bales than shorter and narrower.

dun":3n12mkzi said:
Duramaxgirl":3n12mkzi said:
bmcdonald":3n12mkzi said:

You guys are hilarious
Sometimes it isn;t the weight, it's the stability. Longer and wider is better for moving bales than shorter and narrower.
OK... I know I'm not in my league when it comes to tractor talk :) I just thought our set up sounded close to his tractor. Bigger tractors are always better!!

Son of Butch":3af9ur2h said:
bmcdonald":3af9ur2h said:
If you can't afford another tractor what would be the best way to move hay to the hay ring in the winter?
Would it be feasible to run a temporary electric fence to fence off part of the pasture for hay storage?
And then move the fence and hay ring to the hay allowing the cows access as needed in the winter.
That way you wouldn't need to move the hay bales at all.

That would get my vote.

Latest posts