Small Scale Ranching

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw somewhere earlier in this thread someone said that they consider it an insult when you are asked how many head of cattle you have. Then can someone please tell me why I was asked that stupid question 4 times in ONE day? I dont think it matters how many head you got or how much land you got. You may have 500 head or freakin 1 it dont matter if you cant CARE for the animal in a proper manner. How you going to make any money if all your livestock dies from sickness and poor nutrision becuase you dont know how to care for them?

I wouldn't think it was an insult if someone asked me how many cows I have. Actually I get asked quite a bit at work. My wife and I are building our herd and we think that one of us could go to atleast part time status if we got 50 cows. We would like to have atleast 100 or more one day plus 10-20 horses.

ArrowHBrand":2mvx8hch said:
I wouldn't think it was an insult if someone asked me how many cows I have. Actually I get asked quite a bit at work. My wife and I are building our herd and we think that one of us could go to atleast part time status if we got 50 cows. We would like to have atleast 100 or more one day plus 10-20 horses.

First its just nosey and no different than asking you what you have in the bank.

ask a real cattleman how many acres or how many cows he has..he may answer, but he won't really appreciate the asking...when i was first getting started i visited a huge ranch that sold pure bred cattle. I asked, "How many acres do you have Mr.? " "more than some not as many as others" was his answer. maybe insult was not the right word. its's just not good ediquete to ask... on the other hand it can be an embarrassing question to ask someone who is trying hard to make a go of cattle, but falling short of his own expectations, and then to be asked how many acres or how many cows?? just not the right thing to do...the question will most often come from someone out of ranching than someone in ranching... just my opinion

-Your operation is only as big as you think it is!

All of us, those that own one cow and those that own thousands, need to remember the reason why we are in this business; the momma cow is the most incredible animal on earth. She can survive and thrive in the swamps of Florida, the deserts of New Mexico, the cornbelt of Iowa, and the snow covered Northern country.

OF COURSE what each of us consider large or small is going to differ. In my area of the planet an acre of dirt with grass on it sells for less than $300 while many of you can't touch an acre for less than $4000.

Everyone needs to understand, that the back bone of the American Beef Industry has been and currently is small/hobby producers.

I raise registered seedstock, and it is my contention that the LARGE producers have caused more damage to that segment of the industry than any small producers ever has or will. The BIG money, in it for the tax break, all hat and no cows guys are dangerous. Anyone who has the financial resources to instantly appear in the seedstock world, purchases the high sellers at all the big sales, trap commercial producers with their fancy advertising (concerts, steak dinners, carriage rides) and than in a matter of a dozen years their operation has vanished....is bad for the beef industry.

Wow, there are people like that, Sainty01? Never seen them before, but I believe you! My husband and I work hard on our small operation and have built everything ourselves from fencing to creep feeder, and even our own chute. We enjoy the challenge and aren't afraid of hard work. Like anything, it feels better when you make it work with your own two hands. The big boys you're describing sound to me like racehorse owners: they pay for it, but never actually ride.

As far as size goes, I want all I can get. It is no different that having a bunch of nickels in investments.

Those folks who produce more on 50 acres than others do on much larger spreads impress me. Attitude and work ethic are by far the best sign of character. For me it is not what you drive, or where you live, it is more what you do with your life.

backhoeboogie":3pqf752o said:
Attitude and work ethic are by far the best sign of character. For me it is not what you drive, or where you live, it is more what you do with your life.

I like that backhoe-well said.

Little Cow":2douvlfv said:
We enjoy the challenge and aren't afraid of hard work. Like anything, it feels better when you make it work with your own two hands. The big boys you're describing sound to me like racehorse owners: they pay for it, but never actually ride.

It doesn't always have to do with wanting to do hard work. Some people's time is worth more than others. If I can pay some one to shred for $35 per hour while I am making $30 per hour doing another job, and it would have cost me $25 per hour to do it wtih my equiptment not accounting for time. It would not be economically smart for me to do it myself unless there is some other factor you are accounting for; pleasure, self-gradification, ect...

With most people they have many businesses, jobs, and other commitments you have to look at that is the most profitable in the end as a whole. Not just your ranch, not just your other business, not just the person you work for.

Latest posts