Small registered herd ?

Help Support CattleToday:

well it seems by the advice that a small commercial herd would fit me the best. I guess I didn't think about the extra work involved and extra money. I am sure it would be more satisfying for me to have a registered herd, but doesn't seem realistic at this point looking at the cost/reward.

Ebeneezer gave some very solid advice on page 1 for any cattleman. I don't see more physical work in registered vs commercial other than trying to collect birthweights. Maybe a little paperwork once or twice a year, no big deal, or selling to people v dropping at sale barn. Going registered caused me to be more involved, thoughtful and structured with my cattle. Gave me something to work toward with them. I actually enjoy it more. I want to see improvements instead of just maintaining them. The only thing the paper means to me, is a cheap marketing tool for those few buyers who want it.

SteppedInIt":82r2rccq said:
Ebeneezer gave some very solid advice on page 1 for any cattleman. I don't see more physical work in registered vs commercial other than trying to collect birthweights. Maybe a little paperwork once or twice a year, no big deal, or selling to people v dropping at sale barn. Going registered caused me to be more involved, thoughtful and structured with my cattle. Gave me something to work toward with them. I actually enjoy it more. I want to see improvements instead of just maintaining them. The only thing the paper means to me, is a cheap marketing tool for those few buyers who want it.

yes I can see where that would be satisfying to have a nice looking herd and constantly improving it and seeing good quality animals that you raised and people coming to you to buy quality cows.

Jackson":182lkvwr said:
SteppedInIt":182lkvwr said:

yes I can see where that would be satisfying to have a nice looking herd and constantly improving it and seeing good quality animals that you raised and people coming to you to buy quality cows.

If smith has a champion bull, he's also got several that didn't cut the mustard. They should be steered. I have gone to see "prize" bulls and drug home empty trailers. Just because an animal is kin to another or descended from a strong line, there is no guarantee. If you want to be known for really good cattle, market really good cattle. Cull the rest.

That is true, but some breeds will grade prime more often than other breeds. So it has a heck of a lot to do with the breed of cow. I would think someone with your experience should know this. There's a lot more to raising cows now a days, than putting grass in front and bull behind the cow. There is also 3 grades of prime and choice beef, and 2 grades for select. If you don't adapt you'll be left behind.

I eat a couple of my own every year. I sell several at the sale barn. Just sold 5 steers to a friend that are char sired out of brangus dams. They'll grade well if properly fed out. I'd eat one of those myself if it were still on the place.

Jackson":3qoka2vo said:
SteppedInIt":3qoka2vo said:

Don't underestimate the market for quality commercial cattle. Just because some one is commercial doesn't mean they are not improving their herd.

There are 3 groups if people that I come across. 1) the papered group 2) quality cattle at the right price 3) the "I just need a calf" group.

All are viable markets with opportunity. Most people don't know cattle that well. They do know what they can afford and how you treated them during the transaction.

dun":3nyjmddb said:
The thing to remember is you can;t compete with the big herds. We are smaller now than in the past but we have no problems selling the occasional bull and replacement heifers, both commercial and registered. It took some time to get a reputation for quality cattle, once you have it you have to work to keep it. That's where the knife and the salebarn comes into the picture.

Bull market is difficult to break in to.
Heifers are different. Much more demand.
Registered open heifers sell well here.

Brute 23":anbjgpma said:
Jackson":anbjgpma said:
SteppedInIt":anbjgpma said:

Don't underestimate the market for quality commercial cattle. Just because some one is commercial doesn't mean they are not improving their herd.

There are 3 groups if people that I come across. 1) the papered group 2) quality cattle at the right price 3) the "I just need a calf" group.

All are viable markets with opportunity. Most people don't know cattle that well. They do know what they can afford and how you treated them during the transaction.
I came from, I just needed healthy calves to haul to sale barn to wanting best quality and that's where I'm at. I just so happen to be able to paper em. :cowboy:

I could do better if I marketed, or even tried to market. A whole lot of folks selling freezer beef are working on a cash basis versus me paying taxes on profits. Because I have a day job with a good salary, Uncle Sam takes a lot of nickels out of my pocket from the sale barn checks.

SteppedInIt":1f63g19s said:
Brute 23":1f63g19s said:
Jackson":1f63g19s said:

I came from, I just needed healthy calves to haul to sale barn to wanting best quality and that's where I'm at. I just so happen to be able to paper em. :cowboy:

Most people are like that. One mans "trash" is another mans treasure. You may not have the picture perfect cow like the pics on the enet but it may be better than the guy down the road. He may take your heifers or bulls and they be a step in the right direction for him. If both parties are happy then it was a good deal IMO.

Brute 23":3i04l3k0 said:
One mans "trash" is another mans treasure. You may not have the picture perfect cow like the pics on the enet but it may be better than the guy down the road. He may take your heifers or bulls and they be a step in the right direction for him. If both parties are happy then it was a good deal IMO.

Trying some of that. Bought 7 open heifers last fall from a registered herd who feels he has the best genetics in the area. I don't expect these heifers to be perfect, but this increases the number of heifers I can select replacements from. :cboy:
Five look good this spring. Two did not grow out well, and are on the cull list. This experience gave me a better appreciation for my retained heifers - - who generally have less muscle but have better dispositions and are easier keeping.

backhoeboogie":350eoci2 said:
I could do better if I marketed, or even tried to market. A whole lot of folks selling freezer beef are working on a cash basis versus me paying taxes on profits. Because I have a day job with a good salary, Uncle Sam takes a lot of nickels out of my pocket from the sale barn checks.

There's usually several people in just about any area that are paying cash for cattle in the country. You would have to sell them slightly under market price but it may be worth it to avoid taxes. They will try to rob you if they can get away with it though. I don't know if you have pen-hookers at the sale barns down there but they will usually pay cash as well.

Latest posts