Small pleasures

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Watching little calves playing is alwasy a joyfull sight. But I alwasy forget how enjoyable it is to see a couple of week or two old calves laying on the hillside mixed in with the cows soaking up the sun and the little buggers chewing their cuds. Eyes closed and just as contented as if they are really enjoying what they are doing.

dun

They are enjoying it :!:

All mine have big smiles

:D :lol:

dun":2v2q0mef said:
Watching little calves playing is alwasy a joyfull sight. But I alwasy forget how enjoyable it is to see a couple of week or two old calves laying on the hillside mixed in with the cows soaking up the sun and the little buggers chewing their cuds. Eyes closed and just as contented as if they are really enjoying what they are doing.

dun

It's amazing no matter how bad of a day I have I can go watch the calves for a little bit or just go work with some cattle and it soaks away.

I have always enjoyed being around animals. Even the times when you have to bottle feed , give shots etc. are just not as stressful for me as so many other things in life. I even like working on fence, improving the farm and love being outside. I think the hard work is well worth it.....

It is a true pleasure. There is no whiter white than the face on a baby Hereford or baldie. They look so clean and pure. Fruit trees blooming, birds coming back, baby's sucking and mommas scouring. Spring has sprung.

Craig-TX

dun":1vn8r5f1 said:

dun

It is funny to see those little guys chewing their cuds. Apparently they develop them at an early age. I especially enjoy them when they're small. At 6 weeks, they all look like potential "herd sires." The hard part is coming up though; we'll start heat detecting and AI-ing next month.

We're still in "sprinter", that's not quite still winter and not quite spring. The grass is growing a little, but 40 degree days and freezing nights interspersed with 65 and 40 kind of slows it down. Haven't seen the sun for several days. The weather liars said we are now 2 plus inches ahead of normal for rain, and Feb was the 4th driest Feb on record.

dun

D.R. Cattle":1nw7ycux said:
Our's sprung about a month ago. But it's still nice. My corn is a foot tall already.

I took a tip from the calves. I got myself a big biscuit to eat, went out in the pasture and leaned back against a stump and soaked up an hour worth of sunshine. Good Lord, those calves have the right idea.

My neigbors make fun of me all the time. They don't see what i get out of sitting in the middle of the pasture on a bucket with a cold one just admiring the cows and calves. The calves are so curious, if you sit ,they can't help themselves but to come close and smell you. I f you do it long enough they get tame enough to start licking your finger and slowly your able to pet them. The neighbor's joke that me and the wife must be on the outs if i'm there instead of in the house. You just have to have a passion for it to understand. Like someone said, it's healthy, if more people had pass times there would be less need for nerve medicine and consulting with phyciatrist.

Arancher":24v7bj8b said:
My neigbors make fun of me all the time. They don't see what i get out of sitting in the middle of the pasture on a bucket with a cold one just admiring the cows and calves. The calves are so curious, if you sit ,they can't help themselves but to come close and smell you. I f you do it long enough they get tame enough to start licking your finger and slowly your able to pet them. The neighbor's joke that me and the wife must be on the outs if i'm there instead of in the house. You just have to have a passion for it to understand. Like someone said, it's healthy, if more people had pass times there would be less need for nerve medicine and consulting with phyciatrist.
Amen to that.

jfont":35nfnon7 said:
Arancher":35nfnon7 said:
Amen to that.

Know what you mean every evening I hop on the mule drive up the hill. I just can not get enough of the veiw of the valley, with the cows grazing. The sunset is awesome. I thank God everyday for letting me manage this small peice of heaven.

my wife says i am crazy watching them all time. i am about half done calving. i get excited every time one is born. :D

If you don't get excited about it you need a mental adjustment. I'll admit that now that we're only running a dozen or so it's more exciting then when we ran several hundred, but that was exciting too.

dun

jcarkie":2jw9i4hk said:
my wife says i am crazy watching them all time. i am about half done calving. i get excited every time one is born. :D

Like my old Dad says about Deer hunting," when your heart doesn't speed up when you see a deer, it's time to quit hunting" I feel the same way about the new calves. I like to use a cow stick to gentle them, you can hold it out and let them smell of it and rub their head/neck area and the first thing you know they're like a dog wanting you to scratch them all the time. It's stress relief for me, time slows down and I calm down and enjoy what the good Lord has blessed us with.

;-)

dun":1ac5wuj1 said:
If you don't get excited about it you need a mental adjustment. I'll admit that now that we're only running a dozen or so it's more exciting then when we ran several hundred, but that was exciting too.

dun

jcarkie":1ac5wuj1 said:
[/quote]

Arancher":2eai7xfq said:
You just have to have a passion for it to understand.

that kind of reminds me of a saying at a&m (for those not familiar it's a school very, very rich in traditions.)......."those on the outside can't understand it and those on the inside can't explain it"

Would that be Baja Oklahoma A&M?

dun

txag":2sayvdgp said:
Arancher":2sayvdgp said:
You just have to have a passion for it to understand.

that kind of reminds me of a saying at a&m (for those not familiar it's a school very, very rich in traditions.)......."those on the outside can't understand it and those on the inside can't explain it"

Latest posts