Small Group of Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattleman200

Reaction score
When I attend the Pinegar Sale in Springfield, MO on 3-16-2013 I plan to take 11 black steers to Joplin Stockyard on Monday. I carried 6 last year and they did really well. I will post the results when I return. They are weaned 7 weeks and on feed with 2 rounds of shots. I hope they do well.

Circle H Ranch

I hate to guess but I would say they are averaging around 500-550 on the group. No ear, they are Limousin / Angus cross mostly and are about as uniform as I have ever sold in a group.

Circle H Ranch

I am sure that's posible, And thats probably what you would have got for sure this week, but i think the feed prices going up this week are going to put a little pressure on the calves under 700lbs.

I had to look up the Joplin market report to be sure you guys wasn't exagerating. Hard to believe how much higher the calves are there compared to the eastern US.

Yes and there are some sales around here that don't get reported that can be even higher than joplin, i used to sell at joplin and switched to another sale and get a better price.

Looks like most sizes are .30 a pound higher there. .10 I can understand because of the trucking. I think I will check into this a little further. It shows your prices even higher than Ok City this week. Might have to make a drive to Missouri.

Kenny, Thats why I am taking them. I am working a sale in Springfield an hour away from Joplin. I have a free place to stay. Only thing is I have to stay two extra days after the sale. That leaves me only two days back home before I have to leave for the next sale I go to. I carried that group of 6 last year to Joplin that averaged 688 lbs and they brought $1.60. A little over $1100 each. I almost passed out. lol I have a couple of guys in my corner out there that will help me a little. I know the rep I will be dealing with and ironic enough the guy that bought my steers last year was a buyer from Alabama. I have a friend here that sells truckloads all the time. He said here right now these calves would probably bring about $1.50 - $1.58 tops. I am hoping with them weaned 7 weeks and two rounds of shots they will bring 15-25 cents more out there but who knows. They are going with me in about an hour no matter what. lol I will post whrn I get back how they did. Wish me luck. Thanks, Bill

Circle H Ranch

Well, I have some interesting news. Things happend just like last year. Either I am the luckiest guy alive or I carried exactly what the buyers wanted. When I first went in calves were selling in groups and not selling good at all I didnt think. I tipped my buyer rep a little to get my calves in so I wouldnt have to wait all day to see them sell. These were LimFlex type calves being Limousin / Angus cross. They really never got filled back up after the 9 hour ride even though they ate well for 5 days. They were also a little lighter than I thought. They averaged 473 pounds and brought a whopping $1.90 per pound. I was overwhelmed! The closest lower 5 weight calves I saw sell brought $1.52. My calves were all black and did look like peas in a pod, were all tagged alike and they announced about all the shots etc. I think I collected easily another $125-$150 per head on these calves. It sure made for a great trip !

Circle H Ranch

Great news cattlemen 200, if you would have taken a potload of those good calves you would have needed an armored truck to take your check to the bank!!! I hope the cattle business stays good for us for a good long time!

Thanks Jason, I gathered up all the steers I had left that would fit in the group. Dont you know that if I had a pot load I would have sent them all.. lol

Circle H Ranch

That's great, I have allways said allmost every time i have ever sold cattle i have got more than i expected, so i started calling my cattle trailer the money trailer.

Denver, I came and went on highway 60. I saw the Ava , MO sign on the way back. Your not too far from Springfield are you? I fueled up in Mountain Grove at the Murphy USA.

Circle H Ranch

No i am not too far from springfield, when you saw the ava sign at mansfield you would have been about 20 minutes from me. I got fuel at the murphy gas station in mountain grove just yesterday, I buy calves at springfield and joplin pretty regular too.

I fueled up there in Mountain Grove for $3.70 on the way up. Filled up in Springfield at Murphys before I left for $3.64 and stopped in Corinth, MS on the way home and topped off for $3.76. Thats 20 cents at least or more cheaper than around my place. I scope out all the Murphys on my trip and when I find a cheap one I load up. I have a 48 gallon Auxillary tank behind the cab with gravity flow and on empty I can put in about 80 gallons. I figure in the last year I have paid for the tank.

Circle H Ranch

Oh, and not trying to get personal, but i was wondering for no big reason who bought your calves at joplin, Just wondering because i know alot of the buyers and where there cattle go.

I use Nick Flannigan. The guys that have the registered sale set me up with him. They know him and he lives up around Springfield. He seems to be a really nice guy and I like him.

Last year Max Barkley bought them which is ironic because he is from Alabama also. lol This year it was SOR - 4. I dont know who that is but it appeared several were bidding on them.

Circle H Ranch