Small Calf Issue.

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586":16f13l3u said:
Okay whatever. I was just trying to be helpful and point out that many many times I have seen it ..... oh never mind.
To the original poster, I hope it isn't ringworm and your problem goes away and your calf gets healthy and fat. Best wishes to you.

The stuff on the head and upper leg...ringworm was my first thought. Yeah, the patch on the back maybe looks like salebarn glue (those people need to remember it doesn't take the whole blasted tube to attach a tag). Anyway CKC, based on the pic provided, I'd have said ringworm.

Alice

Alice":3luontcj said:
CKC1586":3luontcj said:
Okay whatever. I was just trying to be helpful and point out that many many times I have seen it ..... oh never mind.
To the original poster, I hope it isn't ringworm and your problem goes away and your calf gets healthy and fat. Best wishes to you.

The stuff on the head and upper leg...ringworm was my first thought. Yeah, the patch on the back maybe looks like salebarn glue (those people need to remember it doesn't take the whole blasted tube to attach a tag). Anyway CKC, based on the pic provided, I'd have said ringworm.

Alice

There are four farms that travel to shows together and we picked that stuff up about 4 years ago at a show and we all ended up with bringing it home and boy I can tell you it is a bugger to get rid of and keep a handle on and apparently there are more than one type according to our Vet. Some looks almost warty some start as a raised patch of hair then that patch falls off and the skin is crusty under it. We sprayed the barns down with bleach, cleaned all the grooming tools halters etc. We see anything close to it and we hit it quick with an antifungal. It isn't something you want to let go. In my opinion anyway... very easy for humans to get it too.

Well......it looks to me like some type of bruise injury. The mark
around nose is normal. That's not ring worm.
They look a little gant (sp) :shock: I usually give milk replacer up to 5-6 weeks along with free choice (to an extent) starter grain.
Hang in there ;-)

Why not":31qr590y said:
Alice":31qr590y said:
CKC1586":31qr590y said:

Alice

alice which calf you talkin about the paint with the glue on its back?

Nope

Is it just me, or am I the only one thinking those patches of hair missing on the elbow and fetlock joints... just look like callouses and raw marks from laying on hard ground? looks like a regular rub mark in a normal place for rub marks.

Thats initialy what we thought was just hair being rubbed away from laying on the ground, which is very hard clay.

If it's not ringworm could they be rubbing on something in the barn or shelter area?

I've heard that if you've had to use repeated antibiotics can cause hair loss. This doesnt seem to be a big problem for your calf, hold on to him. He looks to be a (dairy for sure) jersey cross of some sort. I'd get him on some feed soon, cause he is old enough for it. Try to ween by 8-10 weeks if he can tolerate feed. I suggest calf starter 18% or if you go cheap, 1 lb.-1.5 lb. per 100lb. the calf weighs.

Latest posts