Small calf Big cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Gate Opener

Reaction score
The cow that we bought had a calf a couple of weeks ago. This is the cow that is #1500+. Her calf was really small. It is healthy and I am glad for that. Now, wouldn't it have been better for the cow to have as big of a calf as she could without problems?

Seems like starting out so small on such a big cow is a bit of a waste(for lack of a better word). This calf is growing like a weed though. Mama has Plenty of milk and doesn't even look like she has had a calf.

I'd rather have a small calf, no probs, plenty of milk, fast growin calf, and a cow in good condition than just bout anything else.

*Cowgirl*":rd61qoyv said:
I'd rather have a small calf, no probs, plenty of milk, fast growin calf, and a cow in good condition than just bout anything else.

I guess what I am trying to say is to have as big a calf as the cow can handle, no problems, cow with plenty of milk, fast growing calf and cow in good condition.

The only difference is that the calf is bigger at birth therefore getting a bit of a head start.

Is low birth weight always best?

Oops, sorry Dun. It dawned on me Duh. I bet you meant Judge. The J is right next to the H.

was also wondering about the term "hudge". thought i was about to learn me a new word.

Beefy":u2y21sqg said:
was also wondering about the term "hudge". thought i was about to learn me a new word.

Lousey typing skills. The word was supposed to be Judge.
I don;t care how small the calf is if it weans at the same weight or in the ballpark of a heavier born calf. We get a couple of heavy BW calves, over 90 lbs, that wean lighter then those that are born 70-75 pounds. Similar genetics. I lay it at the feet of the cow putting too much into the late gestation and delivery of that bigger calf.
But being an old phart I tend to simplify the results of my observations.

dun

Thanks Dun and Gate Opener, that was the best laugh I've had all week. Not meaning any offense, it was just plain funny.

No offense. It was funny to me also after I figured it out.

Maybe we should make that a word in honor of dun. He should have his own word.

A Hudge cow would definitely have to have a straight topline. What else?

she also needs a big barrel, can produce on HE fescue and don't mind an old arm in her jacksie

KNERSIE":24sxmyx1 said:
she also needs a big barrel, can produce on HE fescue and don't mind an old arm in her jacksie

Don;t forget she has to be able to pass a Buick sideways

dun

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well at least you didn't suggest one of those old Cadillacs with the fins! :shock: