Slugs

Help Support CattleToday:

rnh2

Reaction score
I have a 870 Remington 23/4" with 28" modified choke What's talks advice on slugs? The barrel just has the single bead. What about putting on sights?

You'd be better off buying a slug barrel, even smooth bore, than adding sights. I have a smooth slug barrel on my 1100 that'll kill any deer with 100 yards with the cheap Rem Slugger slugs.

rnh2":3j0lkx8b said:
I have a 870 Remington 23/4" with 28" modified choke What's talks advice on slugs? The barrel just has the single bead. What about putting on sights?

What gauge?
I have found the smaller gauges are more accurate with pumpkin balls.
I don't want a slug barrel as Winchester fosters I have found to be the most accurate.
Depending on thicket conditions with a smooth bore you can opt for buckshot or slug.
Buckshot is deadly to 60-65 slug is good to 100.

rnh2":wlwo79mi said:

Use a rifled slug barrel, sabot slugs, and a scope with graduated cross hairs, for long range work.

Second on the slug barrel. I hunted my first 15 years with a 870. Used Winchester slugs shot handful at a 100 longest was 137 yards. I always used open sights.

I have a Mossberg 9200 12ga rifled barrel shotgun in very good condition. Nobody uses one here anymore. PM me for details if anyone is interested.

Caustic Burno":1t9q0mq4 said:
rnh2":1t9q0mq4 said:

What gauge?
I have found the smaller gauges are more accurate with pumpkin balls.
I don't want a slug barrel as Winchester fosters I have found to be the most accurate.
Depending on thicket conditions with a smooth bore you can opt for buckshot or slug.
Buckshot is deadly to 60-65 slug is good to 100.
What combination of buck shot/choke do you use to get a decent pattern at 65 yards? The best I could ever get my 870 to do was with a full choke and 3.5 inch #4 buck. This would still only keep about 10 pellets on a 8.5x11 note book paper at 50 yards.

Every shotgun is different and you just have to test them out. I have found worse patterns out of magnum loads as your trying to put 10 pounds of shyt out a five pound hole.
I prefer Winchester Super X over the counter. Prefer my reloads to them.
Winchester and my reloads are both buffered buckshot.

This is just rule of thumb tighter the choke # 4 or 1 buckshot most modified prefer single or double aught.
Never found IC to pattern anything well beyond 25-30 yards.

I have an old Winchester 97 that I know has killed over 200 deer with #1 buckshot. Farthest I ever shot one with it was 63 steps 12 buckshot went in one side of the rib cage 10 came out.
Seen dad drop one at 76 steps in a pipeline right of way.

Now I am a shotgun nut and have a lot of shotguns everyone is patterned and recorded on the best load.
Everything on a shotgun is about pattern bigger is not better pattern is.

I forgot I only shoot
Trulock chokes as well precision hunter.
These are not cheap.

You have bought in to bigger is better your trying to stuff an 8 gauge load out a 12 gauge hole. All that magnum ammo is good for is the maker.
Compare FPS on Standard loads versus magnum.
Even today everything goes back to this
http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html