Sluggish/weak calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Last Saturday morning daughter found a 3 week old calf laying down by the mineral feeder. Weak some sign of scours but not really showing signs of dehydration. I have not been able to do much with him since having hernia surgery but we did give him electrolytes, Sustain boluses and Resflor, he sounded a little raspy in his breathing. Really did not see a lot of improvement and had a vet look at him. He gave some PreDef and Excede, thought his manure looked a little stringy or had a mucus look to it he said. We kept fluids in him and put him in a lot with the cow.

He still acts weak, lays around most of the time. I notice him kicking his back legs a lot but his navel felt ok, not sure if his legs or belly is bothering him. Just really does not seem to feel good. Skin does not tent, he nurses some and have supplemented some. Just not shown a lot of improvement since Saturday. Really don't what to do from this point. Waiting on the vet to call back to get his thoughts but thought I would see what others thought.

Did he have a temp? And does he have one now?
Really hard to say what could be going on with no definitive symptoms. Did he check a stool culture?
It seems like it could be anything from anemia to pneumonia with what you have said...............

It sounds like scours with the calf *still* dehydrated and being attacked by secondary infections (respiratory, possibly further stomach issues causing it to kick from pain).
And it sounds like you're doing what you can to get him better.
They can't all be saved.
Don't underestimate the amount of electrolyte he might need even if he doesn't appear dehydrated. And the antibiotic is important for secondary infections. But beyond that... economics and time may dictate that he either recovers or he doesn't, without being sent to ICU.

Had one this year recovered from scours then the joints swelled up - bit younger than yours, he would have been about a week old at that point. I can't use antibiotics in that class of calf so I put him down.

branguscowgirl":gqpe094u said:
Did he have a temp? And does he have one now?
Really hard to say what could be going on with no definitive symptoms. Did he check a stool culture?
It seems like it could be anything from anemia to pneumonia with what you have said...............

Vet did not take his temp Saturday. I did this afternoon, 102. When putting the thermometer in he tried to poop, a real hard stool in the beginning and then kinda of clumpy. I gave him some mineral oil.
Vet called back and thinks he may have a intestinal problem, suggested the mineral oil and another dose of Excede. And maybe Banamine to make him feel better. Short of opening him up he had no other ideas.

I am limited on what I can do, wife and daughter helping with what they can. I guess there comes a point when more vet bills might not pay off. Not ready to give up yet. He was pretty aggressively nursing this afternoon.

Depending on the diagnostics your vet has available... a 3 week old calf is about the size of a large dog and can be radiographed or ultrasounded pretty easily. And basic bloodwork (CBC/chemistry panel) are options too.

milkmaid":8gzs8j3c said:
Depending on the diagnostics your vet has available... a 3 week old calf is about the size of a large dog and can be radiographed or ultrasounded pretty easily. And basic bloodwork (CBC/chemistry panel) are options too.
He has a very small practice and came to the farm. I can start driving tomorrow so I have considered hauling him to another vet, would save the price of a farm visit, may or may not save him but could learn something.

Tom with the price that calves are worth, I wouldn't think that you would loose any money by having him checked out. My thoughts are the more that you learn about what is going on with him, the better that you can treat if any other cattle come up sick. Or even prevent a problem with your other cattle and/or calves. For me, it is always worth getting to the bottom of it.

Sounds hopeful that he "is aggressively nursing this afternoon."

branguscowgirl":ej7rmy1w said:
Tom with the price that calves are worth, I wouldn't think that you would loose any money by having him checked out. My thoughts are the more that you learn about what is going on with him, the better that you can treat if any other cattle come up sick. Or even prevent a problem with your other cattle and/or calves. For me, it is always worth getting to the bottom of it.

Kinda of my thinking also. I will see how he is doing in the morning and go from there. Maybe I can get him loaded, I just can't do any lifting right now.

tom4018":3ug5ubfc said:
branguscowgirl":3ug5ubfc said:

Kinda of my thinking also. I will see how he is doing in the morning and go from there. Maybe I can get him loaded, I just can't do any lifting right now.
Be careful, don't jeopardize your health! Do you have anyone at home to load, then turn everything over to the vet techs once you get there?

branguscowgirl":2xvonql7 said:
tom4018":2xvonql7 said:
branguscowgirl":2xvonql7 said:

Be careful, don't jeopardize your health! Do you have anyone at home to load, then turn everything over to the vet techs once you get there?
Tomorrow would be just me and my wife, if the calf is up might be able to get him loaded. If it takes 2 people I may have to wait until Saturday morning when our daughter can be here. Might be able to get one neighbor to help tomorrow, he would be my only shot as others are gone.

milkmaid":3oyv7d1x said:
Well we took him to another vet today, one that is better equipped I believe.
They did the ultrasound and said he looked like he had a compaction. I let them open him up and they found his intestine was twisted, said it look like the calf had already been dead a couple days. Not sure if we could have saved him by using this vet earlier or not. He did not start kicking at his belly until the last couple days. Really second guessing myself here but not sure with the symptoms he was showing when the other vet was here that anyone else would have done anything differently. This clinic seems to be a little more aggressive in treatment and went right to the ultrasound after the initial exam.

Guess I should have acted sooner, wish I would have let this vet come instead of the other. Should have driven him to that clinic the first day, but with my surgery the day before I was not suppose to drive, should have let the wife try pulling the trailer, but she is not done it much especially country roads. Oh well, chalk it up as a learning experience to act quicker next time.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Sorry you lost the calf. I'm having nasty luck also. Had two left out of 13 to fall calve. One calved Sat. morning. She never left the herd to pop it out. Less than 24 hr. and it got stepped on. I'm debating on what to do with the cow.
Hope you heal up O.K. from the surgery.

fitz

Latest posts