Sluggish bred cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Tried a search, couldn't find exactly what I wanted to ask, so here goes.
I have a 3 mo bred 2 1/2 yo Brangus cow, central Texas (mid-90's past 2 day's), that has been a little sluggish the past 2 days. Backstory-she aborted a 7 mo calf last year, tested her-no cause found, but it was in the mid-100's for a couple weeks when she aborted. Rented AI Feb 13, pregnant first attempt.
Neighbors moved their cattle in across the road yesterday. When I came home from work, she had some bloody drainage from R nostril, wouldn't eat (usually the pig). BCS 6. She's grazing, chewing cud, not bloated, some serious fly load that we're battling- just a little dull for feed-I'm only giving 3 lb of sweet feed whenever I need to take a look at them closely. I have not put her in the chute to get a temp yet.
Possibly overheated yesterday running around from new cattle? Vaccines (8-way and BVD/IBR) given in July last year, no diarrhea, bloody drainage gone, no cough or wheezing or snot.
Thanks for opinions

Your neighbors moved their cattle in with her - comingling herds? If I'm reading that correctly then there will be fighting, hence a bloody nose and probably got knocked around.

If that's not the case then yes, you need to start with taking her temp and go from there, taking note of any other symptoms. Not eating sweet feed isn't always a red flag, especially if it's hot and she's getting enough nutrition and protein from grazing.

How are you treating for flies? And I'm assuming you have ticks in central TX. Anaplasmosis would be a concern for me and I would be diligent about spraying, ear tags, back rubs, mineral with CTC, etc.

Not comingled, but across the road so she probably ran the fence line a bit to check things out.
Flies-feed-through IGR and Cylence pour-on, haven't seen ticks in 3 years. She's grazing, doing her thing now. I'll keep a close eye on her though. How common is overheating in black pastured cattle with shade available? That's what I'm curious about. Has Brahma influence, so should be well-suited for the climate...

Gotcha.

Mine are primarily Angus with some Angus/Hereford & a few Angus/Simm so all black hide. Lots of shade &/or shelter and stock tanks as well as creeks, ponds and a watershed. Only time I've had a cow overheat was due to underlying problems - 2 had hardware & 1 had lymphoma. They'll cluster together under the trees to keep the flies off. And that's how one of mine ended up with a bloody nose; got cold-cocked when another one swung her head around to nail a horse fly (actually, that's also how I ended up with bloody, broken nose, collapsed nasal tube & deviated septum).

TCRanch said:
Gotcha.

Mine are primarily Angus with some Angus/Hereford & a few Angus/Simm so all black hide. Lots of shade &/or shelter and stock tanks as well as creeks, ponds and a watershed. Only time I've had a cow overheat was due to underlying problems - 2 had hardware & 1 had lymphoma. They'll cluster together under the trees to keep the flies off. And that's how one of mine ended up with a bloody nose; got cold-cocked when another one swung her head around to nail a horse fly (actually, that's also how I ended up with bloody, broken nose, collapsed nasal tube & deviated septum).

Adds to a unique look I'm sure!-lol. We have trees. A shade canopy, just no submersible water areas. I'm hoping it was a situational incident, will be treated with surveillance at this point!

Hpacres440p said:
TCRanch said:
Gotcha.

Adds to a unique look I'm sure!-lol. We have trees. A shade canopy, just no submersible water areas. I'm hoping it was a situational incident, will be treated with surveillance at this point!

I forgot to include two black eyes! Public appearances were limited but the small town gossip was priceless :lol: :roll:

TCRanch said:
Gotcha.

Did you get the deviated septum fixed?

TCRanch said:
Hpacres440p said:
TCRanch said:
Gotcha.

I forgot to include two black eyes! Public appearances were limited but the small town gossip was priceless :lol: :roll:

Been there done that but with a line drive to the forehead playing "recreational" softball. At least I had seam marks!
Cow is back to her piggy self today. Dang critters!

Did you get the deviated septum fixed?

No. Surgery was scheduled for the deviated septum and collapsed nasal tube in June because "no contact sports" for 6 weeks (and calving is a potential contact sport every day!) but insurance wouldn't approve it, deemed unnecessary. Initially was going to do it anyway but never got around to it and I've learned to live with it.

440P with the cow's history of slipping a calf I'd keep a close eye on her. Black coats don't fare as well as reds in high temps.
TCR sorry to hear of your misadventure and more so that the fix wasn't covered by your insurance. :frowns:

76 Bar said:
440P with the cow's history of slipping a calf I'd keep a close eye on her. Black coats don't fare as well as reds in high temps.
TCR sorry to hear of your misadventure and more so that the fix wasn't covered by your insurance. :frowns:

Watching her closely-if she loses this one, that's last shot. Too many black cows carrying full-term calves around here to continue this trend for one.

Hpacres440p said:
Not comingled, but across the road so she probably ran the fence line a bit to check things out.
Flies-feed-through IGR and Cylence pour-on, haven't seen ticks in 3 years. She's grazing, doing her thing now. I'll keep a close eye on her though. How common is overheating in black pastured cattle with shade available? That's what I'm curious about. Has Brahma influence, so should be well-suited for the climate...

Heat shouldn't be a problem for a brangus and temps barely reaching 90 a couple of days. Mine are taking a dip in the tank everyday and resting under trees. Just watch her and let her do her thing;

Latest posts