Sludge as pasture fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

There was a guy just north of here who was pumping septic tanks and dumping it a creek. His dump site was about a half mile upstream from the saltwater where there are some very big commercial shellfish beds. Dept of Health regularly checks the water at the shellfish beds and they kept getting shut down. Commercial shellfish is a big dollar industry here. And water with high fecal counts shuts them down. It took some detective work but they finally figured out the problem. To say that he is no longer in the septic tank pumping business would be an understatement.

dun":1mbw3q8g said:
skyhightree1":1mbw3q8g said:
I am not sure but if they are there that long... someones probably gonna get a hefty fine im sure what do yall think ?
So, was the guy really dumping straight from the honey wagon?

Dun,
He sure was dumping straight raw sewage out of the tanks on his fields... I tried to call him and talk to him but he won't answer my call so I have no idea what has happened. It appears his relative owns that sewage company and between the 2 they came up with the bright idea of doing that.

I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject of pharmaceuticals and uptake by plants. I have come to the conclusion that researchers manipulate the experiments to conclude what they want in some cases. Most of the reports do not state how much was found.
http://www.nebiosolids.org/index.php?ma ... eturnid=24
Some chemicals can be taken up by plants some are not. Some pharmaceuticals are biodegraded, Ibuprofen being one of them, some are not.
It is quite obvious that birth control products are posing no issue.

Probably the same scientist that are working on global warming scam. You mean people lie and cheat just to distort the facts??

highgrit":1eetfgu7 said:
Probably the same scientist that are working on global warming scam. You mean people lie and cheat just to distort the facts??

Much so called science is distorted, he who pays the bill generally wants a favorable out come.

How ever what evidence are you using to put down global warming? They said the weather would become more erratic, and I am thinking that would be what is happening is it not?

Bigfoot":3nrpi2ys said:
I would be perfectly fine with using it. Infact, this has me thinking about looking into using it. Converting my fertilizer bill into disposable personal income sounds like a good idea. I might not tell the misses what's going on, on both the sludge and the savings.

Finding it to buy has been hard for me. I'd use it if I could find it.

1wlimo":smojsbaw said:
highgrit":smojsbaw said:

Much so called science is distorted, he who pays the bill generally wants a favorable out come.

How ever what evidence are you using to put down global warming? They said the weather would become more erratic, and I am thinking that would be what is happening is it not?
Do a search. "global warming a natural occurrence"
Here is one among many others. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 071248.htm

Do a search. "global warming a natural occurrence"
Here is one among many others. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 071248.htm[/quote]

Well in 2001 the was less consensus than there is now.

The temperature has always cycled, however as the CO2 has gone up the rate of increase has gone up as well. So they believe that the temperature is no longer following the established cycle.

There was always going to be more water evaporate as the temperature increases. This in part leads to the increase in the severity of storms and the increase in number.

The biggest problems are that a single year means very little, decades of data are require to be certain, and the world in very complex. By the time we can be certain that there is global warming due to man, and not just be fairly sure about it, it will be well into this century.

Well it is reported that there have been at least three ice ages.....
if there was more than one then there must have been a period of warming between them or there would have been only one.....
there has not been an ice age in several thousand years now so we are obvioulsy in a warming period between ice ages.

I think it is pretty ego centric and typical of man to think that we are influencing the weather of the earth. I don't dispute that the earth is warming. But I am not going to try to take credit for it.

Global warming is the biggest hoax in the history of man. Global warming is a way for all these liberals to pad there pockets. :2cents:

circlew":1udza91u said:
Global warming is the biggest hoax in the history of man. Global warming is a way for all these liberals to pad there pockets. :2cents:

OK I would like to hope for the sake of my children that it is a hoax,

but please explain how if I reduce my energy requirements, farm more sustainability etc and there fore I am able to increase my production, or maintain it with lower inputs and there fore my bottom line grows or is maintained why is this bad?

That is unless you are a large corporation that now can not sell me as many chemicals, fertilizer, fuel etc.

1wlimo":2b0q24kz said:
circlew":2b0q24kz said:

OK I would like to hope for the sake of my children that it is a hoax,

but please explain how if I reduce my energy requirements, farm more sustainability etc and there fore I am able to increase my production, or maintain it with lower inputs and there fore my bottom line grows or is maintained why is this bad?

That is unless you are a large corporation that now can not sell me as many chemicals, fertilizer, fuel etc.

There is nothing wrong with reducing energy requirements to make your farm more sustainable. Do it for your pocket book. Don't do it because some moron on tv, who says that we are killing the planet with our fossil fueled modes of transportation.

circlew":1laxcnhe said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

"That is unless you are a large corporation that now can not sell me as many chemicals, fertilizer, fuel etc."
Never had a corp hold a gun to my head, forcing me to buy their products. Of course all that University research showing how proper management using modern techniques to increase yield and improve soil conditions, resulting in huge increases in farm productivity is just silly corp. propaganda.

I would sure hate to go through life being scared I,m going to catch some disease because of some minute irrelevant piece of literature some overzealous scientist, trying to get a name for himself, wrote. One is more likely to catch something just going to the big city and breathing the air someone else just exhaled.
As far as sludge doing harm to the earth, if it produces more grass it is doing a cleanup act on the air. It is being put to good use vs. a land fill.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You cannot go through life without adversely affecting the earth. You cannot go through life without risk of illness.
I am in favor of the people against using it. They help maintain the controls of the use and production. More than anything they keep me from having to buy it. If it were not for them they would be charging me for it.
The part I don't like is we are limited as to how it can be used on crops but we buy groceries from foreign countries were it is used commonly with far less control as to how it was treated. We don't mind eating foreign crap we just don't want to eat our own. :lol2:

I know the thread is old but studying on BIOSOLIDS the stuff is crazy TOXIC ! Basically the waste management companies found a way to get rid of all their waste without treating it. Alll the TOXIC PFAS abd other thousands of chemicals still in it !!

I've not read back through this 10 yr old thread, but the following article showed up on a friends' FB page just yesterday:

IMO, Municipal sewage sludge or 'biosolids' should NEVER be applied to AGRICULTURAL lands that are producing anything edible - from vegetables to beef & milk. Not on crop fields, pastures, hayfields, or in home gardens.
There are far too many heavy metals, toxic hazards, and so-called 'forever chemicals' that are likely to be in there. Think about stuff that the general public pours down their drains or flushes down their toilets, and all the industries that may be shunting who knows what sort of hazardous, non-biodegradable chemical right into the sanitary sewers.

I've not read back through this 10 yr old thread, but the following article showed up on a friends' FB page just yesterday:

IMO, Municipal sewage sludge or 'biosolids' should NEVER be applied to AGRICULTURAL lands that are producing anything edible - from vegetables to beef & milk. Not on crop fields, pastures, hayfields, or in home gardens.
There are far too many heavy metals, toxic hazards, and so-called 'forever chemicals' that are likely to be in there. Think about stuff that the general public pours down their drains or flushes down their toilets, and all the industries that may be shunting who knows what sort of hazardous, non-biodegradable chemical right into the sanitary sewers.
What do you do with that stuff then?

Spread it on lawns, cemeteries, forestry plantations, city parks, golf courses, athletic fields... just nowhere that human foodstuffs or livestock feeds are gonna be produced.

Last edited:

Latest posts