Slowly learning EPDs...

Help Support CattleToday:

Sniper338

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
A bull with a CED of 3 or 3.2 would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 CED bull?

The way i read it a 1 is easy calving
2 is light pull
3 is heavy pull
4 is c section
5 is still born

At leat according to the agri life youtube video
 

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,608
Reaction score
343
Location
KY
Sniper338":10rtnhll said:
A bull with a 3 or 3.2 epd would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 epd bull?
For heifers I pay attention to the CED epd. I like for the value to be above 9 (angus sire) for heifers
 
OP
S

Sniper338

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
Lazy M":2ada0huv said:
Sniper338":2ada0huv said:
A bull with a 3 or 3.2 epd would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 epd bull?
For heifers I pay attention to the CED epd. I like for the value to be above 9 (angus sire) for heifers


That doesnt jive with what i was watching and reading. Maybe im screwed up still. OP was edited, it was 2am when i wrote that..
 
OP
S

Sniper338

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
So now i did find reading stated as higher such percentage is easier calving on heifers.

However im finding ced epd data to be listed both ways, as a number 1-6 and as a percentage..


So a CED of .5 and a CED rank of 95% would indicate a good heifer bull?
 

limftw

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 8, 2012
Messages
128
Reaction score
12
Location
Southwest Colorado
Definitely not Sniper338. Lazy M has it right, with CED the higher the number the more unassisted births you can expect. Think of it like this.... if Bull A has CED 0 and bull B has CED 10 you could expect 10% more unassisted births from bull B. I think you are running into confusion with breed EPD rankings---i.e. a CED of .5 being in the 95 percentile means that he is at the bottom of the barrel for calving ease....
 
OP
S

Sniper338

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 29, 2015
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
limftw":1auvs0hm said:
Definitely not Sniper338. Lazy M has it right, with CED the higher the number the more unassisted births you can expect. Think of it like this.... if Bull A has CED 0 and bull B has CED 10 you could expect 10% more unassisted births from bull B. I think you are running into confusion with breed EPD rankings---i.e. a CED of .5 being in the 95 percentile means that he is at the bottom of the barrel for calving ease....

Yes i am looking at brangus breed epds
 

cow pollinater

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
5,749
Reaction score
0
Location
Eastern OK
Sniper338":2qkdaoyi said:
A bull with a CED of 3 or 3.2 would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 CED bull?

The way i read it a 1 is easy calving
2 is light pull
3 is heavy pull
4 is c section
5 is still born

At leat according to the agri life youtube video
Sounds like you watched a video on how to report calving ease to the association. They in turn calculate that info into EPD's which are read as higher CED is better for heifers.
 

Supa Dexta

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
2,111
Reaction score
1
Location
Eastern Canada
Ranking a cow 1-5 is just a way of noting how hard the delivery was, if you keep records.

The actual epd numbers don't follow that numbering and depends on the breed what the range of numbers may be. A simmental would be an easy calving with a number in the teens.. Charolais uses different numbers, and a good one for them is upwards of 70 I believe? Angus is in the teens also I think.

Best plan of attack with epds is to search for the breed average, and then compare the animals numbers to the avg to see where it sits amongst its peers.
 

Kcarr

Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2017
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
You are looking at the difference between CE score, 1-5 based on the animal's birth with 1 being no pull. The CED epd is percent unassisted birth difference. For a heifer I am fine using an 8 or 9 CED unless she is a bigger bw heifer herself then I want 12 or 13. For cows as long as it is positive I am fine with it
 

Latest posts

Top