Slowing hydraulic flow (JD 4020D)

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello all,

Another question on this old tractor. Anyone happen to know how to decrease the hyro flow to a specific outlet ? Running my haybine, I'd like to slow down my swing function.....pretty fast right now....feel it would be smoother with slower hydro flow.

Thanks as always.

cornstalk":qgkz08uj said:
Hello all,

Another question on this old tractor. Anyone happen to know how to decrease the hyro flow to a specific outlet ? Running my haybine, I'd like to slow down my swing function.....pretty fast right now....feel it would be smoother with slower hydro flow.

Thanks as always.
www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200336354_200336354

I used these on a pump for hog barn pits seemed to work real good on the orbital motor with constant flow. One on each hose Adjustments are very percise you should be able to find a flow that will work exactly the way you need it. Another thought I used a hydraulic ball valve on a grain auger winch once. But to high of pressure kept destroying the seals and caused it to leak. I could control the flow fine with the ball valve the pressure was just to high. I'm not familiar with Deere's of that model not sure if it is a high pressure low volume system or a low pressure high volume system or a high pressure high volume system. But trying a hydraulic ball valve might be worth a shot they are good to like 800psi I think and cost maybe ten bucks. You might even be able to find a higher pressure ball valve. My fathers 40 series Deeres have flow control right on the remote coupler does this one not have that option?

You might be able to adjust the hyd at the remote or else go to your local dealer and get an incert to put in the supply hose, not sure what it's actually called, with a small hole that will restrict the flow. just remember putting one in a return hose for a backhoe attachment to keep the boom from coming down faster from weight than from the hyd flow several years ago.

On the hydro ends of the equiptment if you break the acutal plug part off the line you can see a hole in the side attached to the line. THere might even be a little thing that looks like a dime with a hole in it and a copper washer in there.

They make those little dime looking things with different size holes in them. Bigger hole faster it moves... smaller hole slower it moves. I guess you could call it a little orphase plate or something.

If you line has one you just need to get another size... if it doesn't have one it is just a matter of adding one.

Brute 23":38ifco4u said:
I guess you could call it a little orphase plate or something.

Orifice. My batwing has them to control the drop of the wings.

Not picking on any spellers, but if he asks for an orphase disc the parts guy is gonna say HUH???

You can buy an adjustable gizmo. Fits into the female coupler on the tractor and the hydraulic hose male end fits in the other end of the gizmo. Then all you do is dial in the amount of flow you want. Not real expensive.

Hydraulic shops should have them.

Billy

If it is pre 69 look on the aux hyd valve block under the hood on front of firewall for the flow rate adjustment screw. takes a 9/16 wrench and a screwdriver and turn it in til you have the flow you need.

After 69 valve and coupler were the same block monted on rear of tractor and it had a flow rate lever turtle/rabbit

dont use the inline orfice restrictor because they can cause back pressure on return side and blow motor seal and cylinders.
do it the correct way or you may see leaks and blown seals.

4020 were a constant pressure (2250psi) variable flow at around 8gpm amx at hi idle

sonm
you were proably blowing shaft seal on motor because restriction was put in the return line. If you used motor bidirectial it would cause case pressure in one direction. and case pressure (return flow) were supposed to be very low.
also sometime high enertia loads will cause failure on motor seals.

Latest posts