Slow

Help Support CattleToday:

Roy E. Mosley Jr.

Reaction score
I have a holstien steer thats just been kind of slow & mops around alot. I bought him along with 4 others when they were about 2months old and they are now about 4or 5 all the rest are doing just fine, he's been that way since i got him.he gets the same rations as the other and even gave him some pinicilien still the same. IS this normal or is there any thing I can do. Its kind of like he's sick.

Roy E. Mosley Jr.":2jav9ryx said:
I have a holstien steer thats just been kind of slow & mops around alot. I bought him along with 4 others when they were about 2months old and they are now about 4or 5 all the rest are doing just fine, he's been that way since i got him.he gets the same rations as the other and even gave him some pinicilien still the same. IS this normal or is there any thing I can do. Its kind of like he's sick.

Don't know about Holstein's...however, bovines are bovines. Maybe he has a low grade illness, or just might be a generally sluggish (or mentally retarded) steer. Why did you give him penicillin without a diagnosis? Penicillin is NOT a cureall for everything that ails cattle. It is an antibiotic that fights bacteria. Maybe the steer is full of worms! Have you de-wormed him? What does his poop look like? Maybe he's depressed (a touch of anthropomorphism here).... What do you plan to do with a Holstein Steer? Eat him? Definitely can't breed him and Holstein Steers are not exactly Horned Pasture Ornaments ( like longhorn steers are) Maybe you Vet has some ideas....

Well he was just wormed with pour on ivermectem in Nov. He eats well & his droping look normal also. Like when I came home yesterday he was running & playing with the other steers, then a few min. later he was moping around agian. I think he may be a little retarded. When he gets about 500ib he will grow wheels. Oh and Arrow A holstien can make a very nice pasture ornament as long as he isn't skinny. I gave him penacillin cause my uncle is a vet. and rec. it he also think that I may have a retard on my hands. :x

Latest posts