Slow Rumen and Snotty Nose

Help Support CattleToday:

Monica

Reaction score
I had the vet out yesterday because one of my cows had a snotty nose (yellow snott) and a temp.

The vet filled her up with boluses and gave he a shot that will last 3 days. He commented that he rumen was slow and to feed her some grass and watch her. (the grass was to jump start the rumen) Well today she is eating very little and I have not see her chewing her cud at all not yesterday or today. Her poop is very firm almost like a horses.

Does any one have suggestions for what I could give her to get the appitite and rumen going again? I did try putting some probias (powder)on her grass but she would not eat it. She has not been getting any grain so I did not want to mix it with the grain. He diet has been grass hay.

I can't help on what to give her but, have you rechecked her temp? If her temp is still very high that could be a big reason she isn't eating.

Yes I have checked her temp and it has come down (103 yesterday)but it is still a little high.(102ish)

Thanks for your response. I guess this is one of those things that you just watch and monitor.

I use the probiotic paste as it is easier to get it in them and know that they got it. If you only have the powder on hand try mixing it with a tiny amount of applesauce or something else & put it in a syringe to give it. Have you tried giving electrolytes? Good luck.

If her "poop" is like a horses she's dehydrated. Put electrolytes in her water source.

The probias paste is great stuff.. that should help her rumen.