slow growing calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dkt99

Reaction score
Bought a few pairs this year to grow the heard a bit. I got one calf that seems to be growing a lot slower that normal. She seems to lay down a lot. The past two days she has what sounds like a cough. I have seen the calf latched on but I don't think it is enough. Momma is real protective but I'm scared shes not giving enough milk. I've had them for 4 weeks now and the other pairs are doing great but this one has got me nervous. Any suggestions?

sale them both.prices r too good to fool with problem cattle,especially cattle that u bought and r not from your own stock.u never know she may have not had good calves n the past.

dkt99":14q0ungy said:
Bought a few pairs this year to grow the heard a bit. I got one calf that seems to be growing a lot slower that normal. She seems to lay down a lot. The past two days she has what sounds like a cough. I have seen the calf latched on but I don't think it is enough. Momma is real protective but I'm scared shes not giving enough milk. I've had them for 4 weeks now and the other pairs are doing great but this one has got me nervous. Any suggestions?

Try supplementing her with a bottle and/or with creep feed if you have something around that can teach her how to eat. You can make a creep feeder gate real easy by welding rods at the appropriate places on an iron frame so baby can get through but momma can't, then wire it to a gap in the fence. Unless this is a first time heifer - a lot of first timers don't milk as well as they do the second time around - after this calf is raised ship momma.

Looks like she got worse today. She will not get up hardley and looks dehydrated I 'm trying to get her something now. What should I get?

tsmaxx47":7cl8clmc said:
veteranary advice

Yes.

Also tube it with electrolyte from the feed store - gatorade if you can't get to the feed store.

Can't get her to take a bottle. She just lays down. I got her away from momma then tried to get her to take a bottle. She would not take it. I wonder if I just stressed herout. Let momma back and hopefully she will make it through the night an let the doc take over.

Get the vet involved pronto then tube her with Kick Start, four packs a day until she's on her feet and feeding on her own then switch her over to Suckle and sell both momma and calf as soon as the calf is healthy. As has been stated before; with today's prices it doesn't pay to keep the troublesome ones around.

Pinch her skin -- if the "tent" you make doesn't snap back quickly she is dehydrated and needs liquid ASAP and likely didn't make it through the night!

If you haven't tubed an animal before - get help so you don't get it in the lungs... depending on how dehydrated the little bugger is you may need to sub-q some saline solution to perk her up at this point (you need the vet or someone who's done it before for that as well).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Unfortunatly the calf did not make it. When all this was happening last night, I heard another calf doing a little coughing. Called the vet and told him my situation and he told me to bring the coughing calf in. Turns out the calf was running a temp of 106.7. He said it was pasturella (not spelled right I'm sure). Treated her at the vet and got shots to give the others over a three day period. I wonder if the calf that was not growing well had a bad immune system and contracted the illness and passed it on to the others. Does that sound like a possiabilty to ya'll? What ever the case I'm glad a had the new calfs seperated from the others.

I'm sorry your calf did not make it. As to the 'bad immune system', it's a possibility but I would be more inclined to think that the stress of the situation, combined with your unfamiliarity with cattle illnesses simply overwhelmed his/her immune system. Young calves don't have a mature immune system, and they are very susceptible to stress. Separating the new calves from the older ones might hedge your bet a little, but you still need to keep a close eye on the new ones for any signs of illness and treat accordingly.

hmm...it sounds a lot like scours. if they (the newborn) happens to lay down in an unclean, or highly-trafficked area it is quite possible for it to pick up bacteria via its umbilical cord for the next few days post-partem. if it is scours then the thing to do is to begin electrolytes immediately and bottle feed electrolytes and a mixture of sugar water with (lemon? salt?) for the next 2 days (for a total of three). calf should be cured and hungry by then. the recipe used to be on the Texas A&M Extension Service web site (not sure if it's still there).