slow feed year

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Hay sure is coming out of the barn slow this year - must be the warm winter. Maybe it'll ease 2012 hay prices.

TennesseeTuxedo":3n9dp900 said:
Which will kind of stink for hay growers 'cause diesel isn't getting cheaper nor is fertilizer, labor, and equipment maintenance.
Without the winter cold and moisture there very well could be a grass shortage next year which will cause hay shortage problems in the long run.

Not been a bad winter here but they are eating it like crazy. Making me wonder if I got enough or not.

Very nice winter so far,sure has been easy on the feed.Going to have a lot of carry over,but with the lack or no snow so far this year,starting to wonder if were not heading into a drought.With all the hay around for sale close by,i should maybe bring in at least 500 rounds at fire sale prices,might be kicking my butt if i don't.

I'd buy hay right now if I had someplace to put it. I'm not entirely done feeding what was outside and the barns are still full.

We've had plenty of moisture - in fact - mud's the problem here. Treated 3 cows for foot rot so far. A lot of other places have it worse (with mud) than I do though. Lot of folks around me are bringing dirt in. I hate seeing those calves drinking out of mud sockets in the ground though - all that manure in there - sure fire way to nothin' good I'd imagine.

$25 for 1300+ pound bales,some of it even helped one neighbour bale.So i know it is green,and the bales had some weight to them.I can't remember ever putting up so much good hay as we did this year.

I should be out of hay by now....been warm enough and damp enough that it looks like late March around here. Should be able to hold on to the cows till it drys and burns up around....May - June....

Whatever....one day at a time.