Slobbering heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I have a 6-month+ old Angus heifer that exhibits some greenish drool and discharge from the mouth and nostrils from time to time, but not all the time. "Foaming at the mouth" would probably be too strong of a description, but it does have a slight foamy appearance from the mouth. It's a greenish color that looks like what you would imagine if you put grass and water in a blender. Everything else seems fine; she's grazing with the rest of the heifers and not acting or looking strange.

I posted this in the beginners board with little results, and it was suggested that I move it here. If I had this heifer by herself, I might pay no attention to it, but none of the other 16 heifers do this. Does this sound like anything to worry about, or is it just natural for some cows when they get on this fresh spring grass? I don't want to ignore signs of a problem, but I also don't want to make something big out of nothing.

I'd be having a good look in there with a strong light, pull the tongue to the sideand look down, have a feel around the base for something like some baling twine etc. I don't know whether you will get your hand too far down a heifer but have a look and feel. A foreign body would be on top of my list.
Ken