Slip clutch ?

Help Support CattleToday:

DLD

Reaction score
We're looking at a used rotary cutter. It's a 7' Cimarron, really straight, dual tail wheels - they say everything's good, it just needs a new slip clutch. From what we can see, the plates look good, but the bolts on the springs are completely loose. The guy said when the pto's on, the blades just barely turn... Could it be that the clutch just needs tightened up? If so, how tight do they need to be?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but every rotary cutter I've ever had (or run) has had shear pins.

Tighten them up just till there snug put it in deep grass and run it if it slips give it another round or two. The clutch will be hot if it's slipping. It should also have a bolt where the pto shaft connects to the clutch you can use a shear bolt there also.

Thanks M5. I never thought about being able to put a shear pin in it, too. I can buy it right, so I think I'm going to give it a try.

DLD":1zp5kju4 said:
Thanks M5. I never thought about being able to put a shear pin in it, too. I can buy it right, so I think I'm going to give it a try.
I have a rhino with the slip clutch and use a grade 5 bolt on the shaft. If clutch is to tight you shear the bolt too loose and the clutch slips. Once you get the right clutch pressure it won't shear unless you really get it in a bind. Hope it works out for you.

It shows "Category 6 shearpin driveshaft" so it maybe the pin is sheared and that's part of the problem
As M5 said a bolt should work in its place. I'd use a grade 2 to be safe but it maybe too soft and require a grade 5
Clutch plates may need replaced too but they're cheap

I had the slip clutch smokin' on my JD 606 6' behind the Kubota. Got into some tough cutting, going to fast ground speed, and my blades are probably dull, all didn't help.

Let the thing cool off and adjusted a big nut using a couple pipe wrenches to tighten the clutch. Still didn't hold like I thought it should, so gave it another couple turns.

Seems to be OK now, but I better be getting some new clutch discs. :roll: Looks like not too much "adjustment" left. :(

Thanks for the replies. I spoke for it, but it'll be next week before we can pick it up. I'll let you know how it goes.

Got it home, snugged down the bolts on the clutch, and it works! Haven't had a chance to use it much, but it looks like it's going to be alright. Cuts nice and smooth, runs pretty quiet. Looks like $600 well spent. Thanks again for the input.

Latest posts