slip clutch or sheer pin

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I need to get a new 5' shredder for my little 8n. I don't think the tractor is stout enough to sheer many pins. Should I go with the cheaper model, and get the sheer pin unit? Never had one before, only slip clutches. I technically just use the tractor for therapy, I don't use it to actually accomplish anything.

Bigfoot":3j9wjlxi said:
I need to get a new 5' shredder for my little 8n. I don't think the tractor is stout enough to sheer many pins. Should I go with the cheaper model, and get the sheer pin unit? Never had one before, only slip clutches. I technically just use the tractor for therapy, I don't use it to actually accomplish anything.

Sheer pins are not that strong for a reason so the 8n Is plenty strong enough to break them its not a grade 8 . Been there done that. I will tell you this you will sheer more pins than you can imagine sometimes its nothing really hard could be thick grass sometimes... I would go with slip clutch cheaper isn't always better. Slip clutch slips you can keep going if you run out of pins your done till you go back to the barn or store. IMO there is no question really... I like my life to have the least amount of aggravation and slip clutch can provide that.

skyhightree1":s6q56ria said:
Bigfoot":s6q56ria said:

Sheer pins are not that strong for a reason so the 8n Is plenty strong enough to break them its not a grade 8 . Been there done that. I will tell you this you will sheer more pins than you can imagine sometimes its nothing really hard could be thick grass sometimes... I would go with slip clutch cheaper isn't always better. Slip clutch slips you can keep going if you run out of pins your done till you go back to the barn or store. IMO there is no question really... I like my life to have the least amount of aggravation and slip clutch can provide that.

Until the slip clutch galls together or the day they won't hold I prefer a shear pin. Had way too much trouble out of clutches in Bahia hay fields. I tore the clutch out of a Massey over a stuck slip clutch and had to split the tractor. After that I took them off everything I own.

i put a slip clutch on mine that came with a pin. pin never did break but the yokes did. pin was from the factory as the unit was brand new.

Slip clutches are more convenient. Every year you're supposed to loosen the bolts and purposely slip it to keep the plates from rusting together. However, I put a stump grinder back into service that had sat outside for many years, and the slip clutch still slipped just fine. I've never had any trouble out of them.

I would prefer a slip clutch for hard work like tree and brush cutting, and the shear pin for lighter finish mowing type of work.

Whichever u do don't forget if u don't have live power u should have a runaway clutch on the PTO to keep it from shoving u through the fence, over a bank, into a pond. Yep it happens.

kenny thomas":1lfov8ma said:
Whichever u do don't forget if u don't have live power u should have a runaway clutch on the PTO to keep it from shoving u through the fence, over a bank, into a pond. Yep it happens.

I've got an ORC for it. The whole tractor is a bad design really, I just enjoy fooling with it.

Slip clutches and shear pins actually two different functions.. shear pins are to protect against sudden changes, slip clutches are to prevent continuous overloads...
My baler is powered by it's own engine over belts (slip clutches in essence).. If i get into something too heavy, they'll start slipping.. However, it also has a shear pin in case the baler picks up something unmunchable.. like a piece of itself!.. in that case the shear pin will break.

Bigfoot":2gdp8mri said:
kenny thomas":2gdp8mri said:

I've got an ORC for it. The whole tractor is a bad design really, I just enjoy fooling with it.
I understand the enjoyment. I have a 47 model Massey Harris and a 57 JD.

Bigfoot":29x4paq4 said:
kenny thomas":29x4paq4 said:

It was a brilliant design actually by Ferguson, the first 3 point linkage and power take off that all modern tractors have followed on from. Understandably there have been a few refinements down the track. The fact that yours is still operating well is testament to the design. I have a post war Ferguson Te20 that I still use regularly, I find it very handy for putting out a bit of urea in the conical spreader, handles like a sports car.

Ken

wbvs58":5n9p7m70 said:
Bigfoot":5n9p7m70 said:
kenny thomas":5n9p7m70 said:

It was a brilliant design actually by Ferguson, the first 3 point linkage and power take off that all modern tractors have followed on from. Understandably there have been a few refinements down the track. The fact that yours is still operating well is testament to the design. I have a post war Ferguson Te20 that I still use regularly, I find it very handy for putting out a bit of urea in the conical spreader, handles like a sports car.

Ken

I actually regretted my comment as soon as I hit it. It was spaceage technology in its time. I do all of my spraying with mine.

Caustic Burno":1rl41l91 said:
Until the slip clutch galls together or the day they won't hold I prefer a shear pin. Had way too much trouble out of clutches in Bahia hay fields. I tore the clutch out of a Massey over a stuck slip clutch and had to split the tractor. After that I took them off everything I own.

My nearest neighbor runs a 6' bush hog with a Ford 4000, and a slip clutch. I used to hear that clutch chattering when he was mowing tallow down, but this year I didn't hear that sound. I went and told him he better be careful that the slip clutch was probably rusted together but I don't think he ever did understand what I was telling him. A couple days later, he stripped out the drive line and a few days after that, grenaded the gearbox.

I still run shear pins on mine, and yes, heavy bahia will sure shear a pin.

I smoked the center slip clutch on a Woods batwing two days ago. Can/ should I snug the bolts back up a hair after doing that?

The reason I ask is the stuff really wasn't that thick that I was shredding. I noticed it smoke a little in some heavy grass a couple days before. The outer 2 are not doing it.

Caustic Burno":3hhjreth said:
skyhightree1":3hhjreth said:
Bigfoot":3hhjreth said:

Several gallons of glyphosate concentrate would cure your problem

Brute 23":36zg5rjo said:
I smoked the center slip clutch on a Woods batwing two days ago. Can/ should I snug the bolts back up a hair after doing that?

The reason I ask is the stuff really wasn't that thick that I was shredding. I noticed it smoke a little in some heavy grass a couple days before. The outer 2 are not doing it.

The answer is no. It helped for a short time but started slipping again.

TiftonBeefmaster":1l85giwt said:
Caustic Burno":1l85giwt said:
skyhightree1":1l85giwt said:

You need an aspirin as Bahia is king here.

Caustic Burno":2yoen2dq said:
TiftonBeefmaster":2yoen2dq said:
Caustic Burno":2yoen2dq said:

Can a stand of Bahia even be eradicated?

Caustic Burno":4cs9ot7b said:
TiftonBeefmaster":4cs9ot7b said:
Caustic Burno":4cs9ot7b said:

No aspirin needed any more than I need a 3 blade Vicon. Hauled two of them out your way recently. Fella uses them on Bahia as they are the only cutter that handles it. It's a trade off. Bahia will grow out of nothing but then you have to replace the Vicons about every 7 years.

Latest posts