Slightly disappointed

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodhopper

Reaction score
On the search for a few head of cows to fill my pastures back up after some culling, I stopped by the local stockyards the other day. I found out that some nice young cows are less than a mile from me, which is good news. I go talk to the owner, hoping to swing some pasture along with the cattle, around 120 acres with thick fescue, a couple good ponds, and nice fence. No problem on the cattle, but his nephew is going to farm it, no more pasture. Although it's not Eastern Kentucky, there are some pretty good grades and a lot of odd shaped fields to the property. Now I believe the man who pays the taxes should do with it what he wants, but it's disappointing as a "younger" (42 years old) man trying to make it in the cattle business in these parts. It's hard to run cattle with no grass in sight.

Getting that way here too. But here, and assume there to a degree?, ground is producing more money on rent from farmers than cattlemen. Dad sold part of his place, I couldn't make it pencil, hated to let it get away. Good barn, pens, total setup. But it would have to pay for itself and I don't have that kind of bank/time. Two more patches he rented to neighbor farmers. I hit him up about putting it back in to hay ground, and we couldn't pencil that compared to the cash rent he's getting. I understand the disappointment.

its all about the money...row cropping pays waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than cows..even tho its 10x the work

Life is tough, but if you want it bad enough anything is possible. I'm very shocked talltimber, I do everything possible to help my kids out as long as they put forth the effort. Sometimes I feel I should be doing more than I am.

I realize that myself. I've farmed my entire life, and lost/gained numerous parcels over the years. It's just hard to see the prime pasture being replaced as marginal farm ground. Chances are that it will never be back to grass again, and there's normally some pretty good reasons why it's been in grass until now. With all of the push for better soil health, it's also hard to see stable soil have a disc taken to it, which I'm sure will happen as often as not. I'm more disappointed about busting the sod than not getting the rent.

talltimber":1xv26dfc said:
Getting that way here too. But here, and assume there to a degree?, ground is producing more money on rent from farmers than cattlemen. Dad sold part of his place, I couldn't make it pencil, hated to let it get away. Good barn, pens, total setup. But it would have to pay for itself and I don't have that kind of bank/time. Two more patches he rented to neighbor farmers. I hit him up about putting it back in to hay ground, and we couldn't pencil that compared to the cash rent he's getting. I understand the disappointment.
I'm lucky, my dad made room for first my brother, and then me when brother gave it up. (Even though he told us to stay away from farming!) He really didn't have any wiggle room, either, as we've always been on the smaller side. I finally, after many years, have bought enough equipment to operate on my own, although we still share everything. Dad was a hog man until the bottom fell out, the cattle are my baby, but he has encouraged and helped where he can.

True Grit Farms":10y8ogty said:
dieselbeef":10y8ogty said:
its all about the money...row cropping pays waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than cows..even tho its 10x the work

Nothing is worth more than your family.

I got that..but not everyone does when it comes to money

It's hard to find farms to rent here too, most land that comes available is spoke for pretty quick. I am in a similar boat, 42 as well, and am trying to make a living from the farm. We are in some pretty steep country, and most of my life I heard people say we couldn't grow corn. We only have a few flat places of 2-3 acres apiece and those are in different locations, so it would be a pain to move equipment that much for that little. Used to raise tobacco on those little plots. Now I'm planning to raise quite a bit of garden on one of them. In recent years, some folks are raising corn and soybeans on places that I never thought I would see that happening. I've tried different kinds of cattle farming, ( steers, cows and calves, dairy calves,) as well as sheep, and a little bit of garden produce. Disappointments are a reality of life, just keep on keeping on, and that's what makes the successes more satisfying.

Seems to be pretty common everywhere. Another thing many are not aware of us that previous tenants abused the property, refused to maintain it, overstocked it and simply abused it. Left a bad taste in the owner's mouth and he will now let it sit fallow rather than allow someone else further abuse it. You're not guilty but you're paying for the sins of others.

Clodhopper":334syo89 said:
I realize that myself. I've farmed my entire life, and lost/gained numerous parcels over the years. It's just hard to see the prime pasture being replaced as marginal farm ground. Chances are that it will never be back to grass again, and there's normally some pretty good reasons why it's been in grass until now. With all of the push for better soil health, it's also hard to see stable soil have a disc taken to it, which I'm sure will happen as often as not. I'm more disappointed about busting the sod than not getting the rent.

That's what I hate to see as well. He had that place in good shape. Flat enough that he could get a lime truck to come more than once. Really solid stand of grass, beautiful place. Now it's bare and washing.

An inspiring thing in our area though is the well to doers that are buying up farms and letting their nephews run cattle are really putting a lot of grass back in our area. Black cattle on green grass looks great from a number of places along the highway in that area now, where it used to be bare and washing.

1 acre of carrots here brought more money in than a herd of 50 cows would.. If the land can do row crop, it's what it ought to be doing.

At least it that land could go back to pasture someday. I`ve lost 3 10-15 acre patches I was cutting hay on just this year to people building houses. Here in middle TN so many people are willing to pay way too much for a few acres to build a house. One young couple bought 10 acres and a house where I had cut for years and he told me they were going to let it go back to nature so I couldn`t cut it anymore. It`s his ground and he can do whatever he wants with it but I think it`s just shameful to let cleared flat ground just grow up in weeds and saplings. These Yuppies with money are really putting the hurt on the cattle farmers around here there`s no way we can pay the $7,500 an acre they are getting for marginal hay ground when you have to make it pay for itself .

cus they aint farmers..its all about keeping up with the joneses...what makes em look cool to the neighbors and stories they can tell at work

I know..i work with a few that are in way over their heads

Clodhopper":25itb7zq said:
It's just hard to see the prime pasture being replaced as marginal farm ground. Chances are that it will never be back to grass again, and there's normally some pretty good reasons why it's been in grass until now.

The $7 corn blip was distraction, but things are going back into sod here after three years of row crop losses.

Talk to the dirt farmers about planting cover crops for you to graze, along with grazing the residue.

TexasBred":3hhd9ti5 said:
Seems to be pretty common everywhere. Another thing many are not aware of us that previous tenants abused the property, refused to maintain it, overstocked it and simply abused it. Left a bad taste in the owner's mouth and he will now let it sit fallow rather than allow someone else further abuse it. You're not guilty but you're paying for the sins of others.

You are right TB, 10 acres 1/4 mile up the road was ruined by last tenant . Not the ground but
" relationship".

3 halter broke mama's and calves rotated in would have got him a qtr from me at least.

"No its not worth it anymore didn't work last time"

He pays to mow it now :bang:

The best pasture in the area!!

jd720":2kplj42w said:
At least it that land could go back to pasture someday. I`ve lost 3 10-15 acre patches I was cutting hay on just this year to people building houses. Here in middle TN so many people are willing to pay way too much for a few acres to build a house. One young couple bought 10 acres and a house where I had cut for years and he told me they were going to let it go back to nature so I couldn`t cut it anymore. It`s his ground and he can do whatever he wants with it but I think it`s just shameful to let cleared flat ground just grow up in weeds and saplings. These Yuppies with money are really putting the hurt on the cattle farmers around here there`s no way we can pay the $7,500 an acre they are getting for marginal hay ground when you have to make it pay for itself .
At least they paid for it! I have a second cousin who put his inheritance in some weed program. According to the gov't signs every 100ft, there are no pets, horses, or ATV's allowed, totally illegal. Guess what cuz does, yep, rides his Big Red down there, hauling his dog pack to frolic on his free taxpayer supported playground!

On the bright side, the new cows are coming home today!

Latest posts