Slight Runny Nose - When to Be Concerned?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mcp220

Reaction score
We picked up a bred heifer this past weekend. She seems to be healthy and such. We haven't let her out to pasture just yet. Planning on letting her out this afternoon. We noticed she hasn't been eating as much hay as when we first got her last Sunday and now she seems to have one nostril running a little bit. It's white/clear. Also saw she's drooling a little more, too. Her ears are still very alert and she's not laying down constantly or anything. She's said to be about 6 months along. Should we be concerned with the runny nose/drooling? We do have the vet coming out next week to check her. Just didn't know if it was something that should be checked sooner? Will the pasture grass possibly help? She's just been on hay this past week. We're still new to this, so any advice is appreciated!

I have seen this a lot with penned animals. Cleanliness of the pen helps. Is she penned outdoors or indoors? Air flow can be an issue if penned indoors.
Any white goop from the eyes?
Possibly a touch of ibr..

Got to be careful too! The wrong meds/vaccines can cause her to abort!

She's only been in the pen in the barn (with open sides) since we got her. Just to get her used to her feed area, etc... Nothing from her eyes. Probably about a 20 x 18 area she's in. That's why we were getting ready to let her out to pasture. You think it may help her?

Airflow should be fine with open sides. How hard is it to watch & subsequently catch her if she's in the pasture? Personally, since you already have a vet coming out next week, I'd be inclined to keep her penned. Plus, biosecurity, if you don't know if she's fully vaccinated & potentially exposing the rest of the herd if she does have shipping fever, pneumonia, etc.

She's only been in the pen in the barn (with open sides) since we got her. Just to get her used to her feed area, etc... Nothing from her eyes. Probably about a 20 x 18 area she's in. That's why we were getting ready to let her out to pasture. You think it may help her?
If you've been feeding her, she will at least be easy to catch.
I'd be more worried about her spreading it to the other animals if she does indeed have an issue.

She was said to have been vaccinated with triangle 10... We were thinking of maybe fencing a smaller area temporarily to let her on the grass just to give her more area. Would keep her by herself for a while to be safe. She's very gentle and easy to move around, so I don't think it'll be an issue to get her back in if necessary.

That was my thought. I'm thinking if she gets worse or starts showing other signs if something, I'll get the vet out sooner. But she seems ok otherwise. Just makes us nervous with the slow down in eating and little bit of snot...

Just got off the phone with our vet. He said to come on down and he'll get us something as a precautionary. Want to nip it before it turns into something more. Said we could give her noromyin 300, but he'd feel better with something stronger to be safe. Didn't say what, but I will check when I call him back. Waiting for hubby to finish mowing across the way. Thank you!!

Just got off the phone with our vet. He said to come on down and he'll get us something as a precautionary. Want to nip it before it turns into something more. Said we could give her noromyin 300, but he'd feel better with something stronger to be safe. Didn't say what, but I will check when I call him back. Waiting for hubby to finish mowing across the way. Thank you!!
Noromycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic and great for foot rot, pinkeye, mild infections, etc. But not anything respiratory - despite what it says on the label. Definitely take her temp while she's in the chute. Good luck - and good call, noticing something was "off" early on!

We ended up going to pick up a dose of Draxxin for her. She seemed to already be clearing up after moving her to the working area pen. Still gave her the shot to be safe. We left her in the pen over night, just to keep her out of the barn for a bit, and she seems to have done well. Definitely feel better knowing we at least tried to do something instead of waiting until it was too late. Here she is :) Pretty girl!

Attachments

• Cindy Sue 2.jpg
    Cindy Sue 2.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Cindy Sue.jpg
    Cindy Sue.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
She is marked beautifully!
I've got a lil black cow like that with the arch in her back. Her calves never do tho!
Mines bred to a hereford this year
It was said that she was bred to a Heresford as well... We shall see what comes of it :) Vet will be out next week still to check her.

We picked up a bred heifer this past weekend. She seems to be healthy and such. We haven't let her out to pasture just yet. Planning on letting her out this afternoon. We noticed she hasn't been eating as much hay as when we first got her last Sunday and now she seems to have one nostril running a little bit. It's white/clear. Also saw she's drooling a little more, too. Her ears are still very alert and she's not laying down constantly or anything. She's said to be about 6 months along. Should we be concerned with the runny nose/drooling? We do have the vet coming out next week to check her. Just didn't know if it was something that should be checked sooner? Will the pasture grass possibly help? She's just been on hay this past week. We're still new to this, so any advice is appreciated!

Latest posts