Sliding Gate-Looking for Ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

SteppedInIt

Reaction score
Anyone ever built a simple sliding gate? I have roughly a 60' opening from a public road that is open. I was thinking about possibly building a square, pipe frame that could be rolled the full 60' across the entrance. One end would have to some how support the gate from falling over, and would have to "hold" the full gate when its open. I figured having pneumatic wheels on the end that crosses the entrance.

residential%20cantilever%202.gif

M-5":33bq5mor said:

Looks simple enough, until you try to put one together. I knew it was a long shot, but was hoping to find someone who built one with experience. ...less trial, less error :lol2:

month old post but....

I just finished this one. I will do a DIY thread of the build.

Philip-TX":3h4n63tv said:
month old post but....

Philip--maybe you did like I did at first and thought he wanted a 60" sliding gate--he's looking for ideas on how to do one for a 60 foot opening. Am looking forward to seeing your build thread tho. I built one last year for my alley run and have way too much work in it. I want to build another for the end of my load out.

greybeard":3gvg6vmk said:
Philip-TX":3gvg6vmk said:
month old post but....

Philip--maybe you did like I did at first and thought he wanted a 60" sliding gate--he's looking for ideas on how to do one for a 60 foot opening. Am looking forward to seeing your build thread tho. I built one last year for my alley run and have way too much work in it. I want to build another for the end of my load out.

OOps, my bad.

But it DID prompt me to go ahead and do a DIY thread. :banana:

Is there some reason you need the full 60 feet of gate. It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper to build some more fence and make a smaller gate.

Ol' 243":1oynynuf said:
Is there some reason you need the full 60 feet of gate. It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper to build some more fence and make a smaller gate.

Yes. I am leasing 4 acres to a pipeline company to store mats. We had to take down the gate and some fence to allow big trucks to come in off the road. It was originally 6 month lease, so I was just going to put the original gate back up. Getting close to a year and they are still there. Don't like the free access to the public.

SteppedInIt":1v4083ca said:
Ol' 243":1v4083ca said:

Yes. I am leasing 4 acres to a pipeline company to store mats. We had to take down the gate and some fence to allow big trucks to come in off the road. It was originally 6 month lease, so I was just going to put the original gate back up. Getting close to a year and they are still there. Don't like the free access to the public.

Gotcha :tiphat:

The gate pictured at the top of the thread is a cantilever gate. Biggest I've ever done was a 50 foot. To balance properly the tail needs to be 1/2 of gate width. So a 90 foot frame. 8" minimum post. It would cost as much as a good used truck.

Sounds like what might be best for you is a 20 foot swing gate on one end. Latching against 40 foot of movable panels. You can put a chain and lock at each panel connection. When the lease is up. I bet you can use the panels somewhere else.

SteppedInIt":2fubfpdj said:
Ol' 243":2fubfpdj said:

Make them build you a gate. It's their responsibility.

TexasBred":xm4mv5pl said:
SteppedInIt":xm4mv5pl said:
Ol' 243":xm4mv5pl said:

Make them build you a gate. It's their responsibility.
Wish I had put that in the contract. :bang:

I don't guess 10' of extra fence from each end with (2) 20' swinging gates to create a 40' opening would work?

Or (2) 30' sliding gates from each end maybe?

Just a thought. Don't know exactly what you need for your situation.

Latest posts