slicking off calves

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Calves around my area get a deduction for still having there winter coat. I have been told that calves dont "slick off" due to endophyte infected fescue .
Anyone else ever heard this?

denoginnizer":2xok1xab said:
Calves around my area get a deduction for still having there winter coat. I have been told that calves dont "slick off" due to endophyte infected fescue .
Anyone else ever heard this?

Some will and some won't. Goes back to how tolerant they are of the endophyte. None of ours slick off much before weaning, still carry that funky semibaby coat.
Neighbor raises Gerts and his don;t slick off either.

dun

My buyers discount for a long heavy coat(usually due to fescue toxemia)in the spring and summer--- but not for being scruffy in the spring.
During cool weather we don't have them discount -- it doesn't have an impact then.

Howdyjabo":1zdq6s86 said:
My buyers discount for a long heavy coat(usually due to fescue toxemia)in the spring and summer--- but not for being scruffy in the spring.
During cool weather we don't have them discount -- it doesn't have an impact then.
Other than looks how does it effect the stocker operation? Do they gain less ?

denoginnizer":2v5a5c2b said:
Howdyjabo":2v5a5c2b said:

I would assume it would take a while for the affects of the endophyte to leave the calf so that it could perform up to it's potentail. Of course it could be that it's a dock because it's another reason to dock and save a few bucks.

dun

if you want to slick them off torch them in a grooming chute or I use a squeeze chute.That will slick them up everytime.

In the summer its one extra critical stress
You can see the fescue calves breathing harder- to the point of panting and foaming at the mouth after just a little stress when other calves have no visable signs of being stressed.
That extra stress predisposes them to have a higher percentage get sick. And those that get some respiratory distress because they got sick-- are more susseptable to expire in a high humidity and temp spell..And if they get sick they seem to DUMP weight.

And I assume since the heat and humidity visably hurts them-- that they are also not gaining as well.
Although 30 days off fescue makes a HUGE difference -- and they really shine then(compensatory gains) .

During the cooler months I don't see any problems-- but I am sure there are some.

Theres ALWAYS a good reason for a dock-- the market dictates how much of a dock there will be.
If I can fill up my pens with top end animals -- I'm not gonna get a docker unless I (or the owner) am gonna make some real good money off it .So its gonna be docked down to a bargain calf.
Right now the dock is low because I am having trouble getting the pens filled fast enough-the competetion for available calves is high( around here)-but I still want some dock to make up for the higher ave costs- and potential resale dock.

Just as an aside--- has anyone else noticed that MOSTobvious fescue calves are solid black?????? Not red Not BWF not eared not Char ect ect..... Is it just a local thing???????
By obvious I mean the ones that really suffer in the heat.

Dark color as the answer doesn't take into account-- BWF(black/white face)with a fescue coat not being as prone to suffer in the heat as much as all black with a fescue coat .

Maybe its just the odds-- higher % black calves in most loads .

dun":22ibjgwi said:
denoginnizer":22ibjgwi said:
Howdyjabo":22ibjgwi said:

I would assume it would take a while for the affects of the endophyte to leave the calf so that it could perform up to it's potentail. Of course it could be that it's a dock because it's another reason to dock and save a few bucks.

dun

I don't know anything about the south and fescue, but up here if they are not slicked up, you will get docked but it is because the buyers can tell they haven't been on a hot ration, so they (buyers) account for the discount saying they have to ramp these animals up to full feed which takes them longer in the lot to get to fat.