Sleep apnea update

Help Support CattleToday:

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Reaction score
I got my cpap machine today. I tried it out at the home medical office it wasnt as bad as what I had to endure at the sleep center. This one started out low (4cm) and gradually ramped up to 16 cm. It has the cflex+ technology in it so that when I breath out it doesnt feel like im suffocating. It has a humidifier as well. Grand total 24.01 per month. 893 dollars. Ins pays 80% of the machine and I rent the remaining 20% until paid off and then it is mine. Luckily I had already met my 300 dollar deductible so I did not have to fork anything over. Well I am going to try the machine tonight. I know it is going to take a long time to get used to as I have slept for 31 years without anything and now having to start sleeping with that blasted thing on is going to be the hardest part. I am also in the process of losing weight so perhaps when that happens I can start using it at a lower level again.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3gax2x6p said:
I am also in the process of losing weight so perhaps when that happens I can start using it at a lower level again.

Good for you. I did. It is amazing what weight lose can do for you. I lost 55 back in the early 2000's and have keep it off. Have a co worker that lost 130. He is down to 270 and has conceived his first child at the age of 39 that he was unable to before.

How big a boy are you? Honesty not trying to offend.

He is down to 270 and has conceived his first child at the age of 39 that he was unable to before.
When is he due? :lol2:

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":q28zot47 said:

Circle H Ranch

Now that was just funny.........

As to the cpap, 16 is a high setting so it will take a little time to get accustomed to it. Within a few weeks however, you'll be loving life with that thing.

Wewild":104iwlf9 said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":104iwlf9 said:
I am also in the process of losing weight so perhaps when that happens I can start using it at a lower level again.

Good for you. I did. It is amazing what weight lose can do for you. I lost 55 back in the early 2000's and have keep it off. Have a co worker that lost 130. He is down to 270 and has conceived his first child at the age of 39 that he was unable to before.

How big a boy are you? Honesty not trying to offend.

This time two years ago I weighed 240 pounds and am 6ft6. I had a death in the family and in order to cope the doctor put me on lexapro which has made me want to eat everything in site. I am now 340 pounds this is the biggest I have been in 31 years. I got up to 280 and then back down to 240 pretty easy. I am weaning off the lexapro and hopefully when I do that I will be able to lose some weight. The cpap deal didnt go well last night. There apparently was a problem with it and the home health place hadnt set it right so they told me not to use it until they can get it fixed. They called my dr and are supposed to be getting back to me. Unfortunately they did not get an eta. I can tell ya when I did have it on I didnt like it. It was okay sitting up but once I laid down it was to much pressure even on low setting so I dont know.

grannysoo":15mnkezt said:
Cattleman200":15mnkezt said:

Circle H Ranch

Now that was just funny.........

As to the cpap, 16 is a high setting so it will take a little time to get accustomed to it. Within a few weeks however, you'll be loving life with that thing.

It starts out on 4cm and ramps up to 16 cm. But the thing is it ramps up waaaaaaaaaaaay to fast. It went from 4-16 in like two minutes. I had to keep turning it down. It would be okay if it stayed at 4cm until I fell asleep but heck hows a person to sleep when they have to keep ramping it down ya know. So they are going to fix it I just dont know when. I can tell you I probably do need it as on my first night I stopped breathing 366 times in a 216 minute period. The funny thing is back when I weighed 240 I had no trouble with snoring or anything of that nature.

The doctor thought I should do a sleep study.
When you can buy a cpap machine for between $300 and $1000.00 why not just buy one and try it out and see if it helps?

The sleep study is going to cost me $2000.00 to $3500.00 so I don't see the sense in the study, when they have to tweak the machine to get it right anyway.
If it don't work I'm still ahead a couple thousand dollars. right???

Sigma you are very lucky with the $300.00 deduct. I have $7500.00.

danl":27hyumrk said:
When you can buy a cpap machine for between $300 and $1000.00 why not just buy one and try it out and see if it helps?

Because you must have a prescription to buy them. It's just another one of those things in the medical system that the sluts in the government makes money off of.

Keep on keeping on with the cpap. It will take a few weeks, but it works and you'll love it. As to ramp, 6 months from now, you won't even use it. Just strap it on and go!

If I could find a Dr to prescribe one, do they have to prove they did the test? It's not like the thing is gonna kill you. is it???

They often prescribe drugs that have really bad side affects just to see if they help. So why not??

It is real encouraging to hear the disclaimers on tv. This product may cause constipation, incontinence, diahrhea, drooling, coma etc or all of the above

I understand that the cpap machines help many people sleep better and that many people need help sleeping. The only problem that I have is that in my experience of people I know going for a sleep test EVERY one of them was told they needed a machine. Not one person that I ever knew that went for a test was told that they were OK.

Circle H Ranch

danl":3nt32m9a said:
If I could find a Dr to prescribe one, do they have to prove they did the test? It's not like the thing is gonna kill you. is it???

Shouldn't kill you. :lol:

However, the second part of the sleep study is when you sleep with a cpap and they find what pressure you need. There is a pressure point that is optimum. More is wasted and less is not enough. I was at 11 pounds for 10+ years, and last year had another study and went up to 13 pounds.

As to the people being sent to sleep studies basically all being confirmed, it's true. However, the doctor doesn't send you for a study unless they are pretty sure there is a problem. Your spouse is the best source of information as to if you have sleep apena or not.

As to disclaimers, my favorite is the one for the sleeping pills that might make you sleepy. Imagine that.............

grannysoo":19i3x8rj said:
danl":19i3x8rj said:

Because you must have a prescription to buy them. It's just another one of those things in the medical system that the sluts in the government makes money off of.

Keep on keeping on with the cpap. It will take a few weeks, but it works and you'll love it. As to ramp, 6 months from now, you won't even use it. Just strap it on and go!

I am taking baby steps. I did a practice session a while ago and was able to keep it on for about two hours non stop. I think I even briefly dosed off with it on. Tomorrow I am going to try for three or more hours. I probably wont sleep with it on until I can at least stay hooked to it for 8 hours.

Cattleman200":1p9jitzy said:
I understand that the cpap machines help many people sleep better and that many people need help sleeping. The only problem that I have is that in my experience of people I know going for a sleep test EVERY one of them was told they needed a machine. Not one person that I ever knew that went for a test was told that they were OK.

Circle H Ranch

Same here. However, they showed me the video and I could see myself stop breathing and restart again. This happened 366 times the first night.

danl":22cj7ths said:

They often prescribe drugs that have really bad side affects just to see if they help. So why not??

It is real encouraging to hear the disclaimers on tv. This product may cause constipation, incontinence, diahrhea, drooling, coma etc or all of the above

Actually it can,

Heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, have all been attributed to sleep apnea. I read some where that 20% of people who have a stroke have sleep apnea. Foot ball great Reggie White was treated by the same dr I went to for sleep apnea and he died in his sleep from a massive heart attack due to sleep apnea because he had stopped using his machine.

It's not the machine that's going to kill you, it could be the lack of the machine. As 40 has pointed out, apena can be a dangerous thing.

grannysoo":3vwokw95 said:
It's not the machine that's going to kill you, it could be the lack of the machine. As 40 has pointed out, apena can be a dangerous thing.

Right, so now I got an appointment with my primary care dr to get off the lexapro so I can start losing weight again as I had no appetite before that. Then Im going to start running twice a day and loose about 100 pounds. Im on a mission.

Cattleman200":2rnyk6q7 said:
He is down to 270 and has conceived his first child at the age of 39 that he was unable to before.

Circle H Ranch

Sometimes my typing ain't on the same page as my thinking.

S&W,

It sounds like you know what need to be done.

Good luck and
GIT-R-DONE

Wewild":3owddfoh said:
Cattleman200":3owddfoh said:

Circle H Ranch

S&W,

It sounds like you know what need to be done.

Good luck and
GIT-R-DONE

Im certainly going to try and giver her heck

by Wewild on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:41 pm

Cattleman200 wrote:

When is he due?

Circle H Ranch

Wewild, you know it was meant in fun.

Circle H Ranch

Cattleman200":3ipvhubk said:
Wewild, you know it was meant in fun.

Circle H Ranch

I amaze myself with my mental translations to print at times.

I like my fun at others expense and just waiting for the right time for a little payback although I am getting less sensitive everyday.

Maybe in another 46 years I'll be emotional neutral. Chances are I will.

Latest posts