Sleep apnea how many have it here? UPDATE

Help Support CattleToday:

S&WSigma40VEShooter

Reaction score
How many of you all have sleep apnea on here? I had a one night sleep study done and they are having me come back tomorrow night to have CPAP treatment done. Thursday morning when I wake up they will then schedule me for the follow up to get all the results. I dread it. On the first study I did not sleep well at all because I was strapped to all that equipment and I could not roll over on my side or my stomach like I normally do when I sleep so I slept maybe two hours. I just have a bad feeling that I will not sleep good tomorrow night either and then will have to sleep all day Thursday thereby messing up my sleep pattern and will keep me from sleeping well thursday night because I slept all day thursday. Also, I will have to check with the ins company and see if they will let me rent a machine because I sure as heck cannot afford one right now.

my dad has it. he went three times and finally got his little machine thing. it helped BOTH of us sleep 100% better. since my room was right next to his. but my father also didn't have a problem sleeping with all of those tubes in him because well... he can fall alseep anywhere. i really mean it.

just be careful when you do get it... dad got tangled up in his hose on night. it was funny to wtch him fall all around trying to get it off.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":17svbkt0 said:
How many of you all have sleep apnea on here? I had a one night sleep study done and they are having me come back tomorrow night to have CPAP treatment done. Thursday morning when I wake up they will then schedule me for the follow up to get all the results. I dread it. On the first study I did not sleep well at all because I was strapped to all that equipment and I could not roll over on my side or my stomach like I normally do when I sleep so I slept maybe two hours. I just have a bad feeling that I will not sleep good tomorrow night either and then will have to sleep all day Thursday thereby messing up my sleep pattern and will keep me from sleeping well thursday night because I slept all day thursday. Also, I will have to check with the ins company and see if they will let me rent a machine because I sure as heck cannot afford one right now.

I have had sleep apnea for more than 15 years now. And my wife is a Respiratory therapist who does home health care dealing with lots of sleep apnea patients. If you have any questions feel free to ask I will help in any way I can!

chrisy":3bpmdlo0 said:
wish mine was that simple...I suffer from insomnia.....most nights if I get two hours straight off sleep I'm lucky.
Me too, its really annoying, my roommate can't see how I can go to bed at 3:30 and get up at 6:00. But it isn't by choice.

FarmGirl10":3gh5cum6 said:
chrisy":3gh5cum6 said:
wish mine was that simple...I suffer from insomnia.....most nights if I get two hours straight off sleep I'm lucky.
Me too, its really annoying, my roommate can't see how I can go to bed at 3:30 and get up at 6:00. But it isn't by choice.

I suggested this to Chrisy long time ago (don't think she could take it) But you may try Melatonin and see if that works. Not sure exactly what it is considered a vitamin or mineral or what but you can buy it over the counter. It helps a persons body to adjust so it can sleep. I work nights a lot and the doctor told me to try it to see if it would help my mind shut down so I could sleep in daytime's. Now I can hardly get good sleep with out it. Usually just 3 mg or so will help a bunch. It is not a sleeping pill just something to balance the Melatonin we produce.

Aplus do you wear the mask when you sleep. My cousin has apnea and she has to wear that contraption every night.

Thanks for the Melatonin tip I may try it. My problem is I am wide awake from around 3-6 am. This works well during calving season but is very annoying when I am actually allowed to sleep through the night.

hillsdown":1arxx7i6 said:
Aplus do you wear the mask when you sleep. My cousin has apnea and she has to wear that contraption every night.

Thanks for the Melatonin tip I may try it. My problem is I am wide awake from around 3-6 am. This works well during calving season but is very annoying when I am actually allowed to sleep through the night.

Yea I have wore one of them mask for years! Took some getting use to but now I will not sleep with out it. I have forgot it twice on trips, once I just stayed up all night with out sleep and the other time I dropped family off and drove back home to get it 6 hour round trip.

You just have to tough through the first month or so with it.

The Melatonin will work in two ways it will help those of us with minds that do not shut down, my ADD just wont shut off at times. You have to take it and then go lay down and you will find you fall to sleep a lot sooner. The other way it works for me is getting deeper sleep, if I do not take it then I dream more and seem to sleep lighter were every little noise wakes me up.

I seem to only be able to sleep on the couch-if I go to bed I wake right up :( like tonight :( I do sleep better if something is on TV that I really wanted to see :help:
Those *breath right* strips work well,but I can only wear them once a week,cause they pull the skin off my nose if used more often. Chemo night I absolutly cannot sleep. Aside from bathroom runs every hour(2 lieters +of saline) benedril affects me differently from most everybody else-makes me twitchy and nervous..
Meletonan works,but with all the other stuff i take,gotta ask Dr.
Oh,and feet burn-not sure if it's chemo,diabetes or a combo....

I'm like a lot of others here, cannot sleep. I usually stay up till 1 am before i go to bed, if i get 3 or 4 hours of sleep i have had a good night. I know some people that can lay down in the middle of the highway an be snoring in ten minutes or less. It is amazing to me how people can just lay down an go to sleep, i wish i could.

Aplus I have tried a lot of things but with my diabetes I have to be careful in what I take. Last night I tried Nytol not sure if you have that, but all I got was two hours good sleep. Hospital Dr yesterday said it could be that I am so dehydrated, he suggested I drink at least a 2 litre bottle of water a day, and my body should start to restore itself. If not he will take me in and I'll go through a few more tests and be put on a drip to hydrate me. Not sure how that will work but can only try as water from the tap is free. (although I think I would pay anything to get a good nights sleep)

I can understand MJ's desperation~~~~I took a darvoset and a melitonion,put on my cd of a thunderstorm and got a broken 6 hours. Hopefully something I want to watch will come on the TV and I'll get a nap on the couch.

I was diagnosed with sleep apena in my mid 20's, so I been dealing with it for about 20 years now. If you need any tips or suggestions, give me a shout. I've probably tried it all...

I have it. In college and right after, I was always napping a lot. At first, just thought it was from too much drinking! I was tested just over 4 years ago, and have been wearing the mask to bed every night since. When I have to fly out on a trip, I will carry the machine on with me. I do not want to check it and have someone else bust it up.
The worst is when we have storms and no electricity. I either have to sleep downstairs fairly close to a generator, or not sleep at all. We have had times without power for over a week. (When I build my house, I am going to get a large generator that will run the house when power does go out. That way, I can still sleep in my own bed).

Couldn't the machine be run on batteries?? Can't be that much of a draw down.

Latest posts