Sleep apnea how many have it here? UPDATE

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt":2q7p1vrl said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":2q7p1vrl said:
How many of you all have sleep apnea on here? I had a one night sleep study done and they are having me come back tomorrow night to have CPAP treatment done. Thursday morning when I wake up they will then schedule me for the follow up to get all the results. I dread it. On the first study I did not sleep well at all because I was strapped to all that equipment and I could not roll over on my side or my stomach like I normally do when I sleep so I slept maybe two hours. I just have a bad feeling that I will not sleep good tomorrow night either and then will have to sleep all day Thursday thereby messing up my sleep pattern and will keep me from sleeping well thursday night because I slept all day thursday. Also, I will have to check with the ins company and see if they will let me rent a machine because I sure as heck cannot afford one right now.

I have had sleep apnea for more than 15 years now. And my wife is a Respiratory therapist who does home health care dealing with lots of sleep apnea patients. If you have any questions feel free to ask I will help in any way I can!

Do you rent your machine or did you buy yours. That is my main concern.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3bo1mh2m said:

The machines are for rent from most health supply stores. Rent is normally covered by insurance and was around 125.00 per month last time I checked.

I got a new machine last year. The insurance company would not buy, but they would rent it for me. However, 125.00 per month towards a $5k deductable was not good.

The machines are for sale to the insurance company for around $1700.00. Talk to the supply store with cash and they can be bought for around $600.00. If they are not willing to deal, get a 'script from the doc and you can buy them online for around $600 or so.

Another thing to look at is this:

www.nomask.com

Best mask that money can buy!

grannysoo":215piuo1 said:
I was diagnosed with sleep apena in my mid 20's, so I been dealing with it for about 20 years now. If you need any tips or suggestions, give me a shout. I've probably tried it all...

Dr suggested I shave my goatee if I gotta wear that full face mask. I was like I dont know Ive had it as far back as I can remember and Im attached to it. Also, I am going to ask if I can get them to give me a vpap machine to where it auto adjusts to what I need instead of giving me the full brunt of it all at once like a regular cpap machine.

grannysoo":32fkepon said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":32fkepon said:

The machines are for rent from most health supply stores. Rent is normally covered by insurance and was around 125.00 per month last time I checked.

I got a new machine last year. The insurance company would not buy, but they would rent it for me. However, 125.00 per month towards a $5k deductable was not good.

The machines are for sale to the insurance company for around $1700.00. Talk to the supply store with cash and they can be bought for around $600.00. If they are not willing to deal, get a 'script from the doc and you can buy them online for around $600 or so.

Another thing to look at is this:

http://www.nomask.com

Best mask that money can buy!

That is cool I will definitely have to get one of those. I just called my cousin who has apnea and he said he rents his cpap machine for 16.50 a month. He has Blue Cross Blue Shield like me.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":1oghw6yv said:
Dr suggested I shave my goatee if I gotta wear that full face mask. I was like I dont know Ive had it as far back as I can remember and Im attached to it. Also, I am going to ask if I can get them to give me a vpap machine to where it auto adjusts to what I need instead of giving me the full brunt of it all at once like a regular cpap machine.

If you use the nomask, you don't have to shave at all.

What you're referring to on the machine is known as "ramp". It starts out slow and then ramps up to full pressure.

After a few weeks on cpap, you just turn it on and go. I haven't used the ramp feature in years. Once you get accustomed to it, that air pressure in the nose feels GREAT!

I started using a cpap about 2 years ago. I first used a full face. The first week you will feel great, you don't know you feel terrible now, A full night of sleep makes a lot of differance in how you feel. By the second week you will get accustomed to having a full nights sleep, you will fell better than before, just not on cloud nine. I use a nose pillow. It don't cover your mouth and is a lot more confortable than a mask. If I lay down just for a nap I will use it. It makes that much differance. I am going on a elk hunt next week, I will be taking a marine battery and my cpap with me. Another plus to this is my wife gets a better nights sleep as well. I don't wake her up with my snoring. Those nose strips, things you put in your mouth to move you lower jaw forward, or other contraptions don't work. The cpap blows a constant pressure keeping your airway unobstructed. Thoses other thing can't do that. If you have to purchase yours yourself you can find them on ebay, or several other internet sites much cheaper than you can get them from your doctor. My doctor charged my insurance co. $2200 for mine. They said it was their cost.I saw the same thing on the internet for less than $500, everthing included. I was going to order a adapter so I could use it on dc current. I told him "you need to fire your purchasing agent because your paying 4 times what I can get one for" He then gave me the adapter free. Below is a link to the one I use. Getting this was one of the best things I have none. Good Luck, or should I say "good night and sleep well"

BAMA

http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/Remsta ... chine.html

Bama":aihza9on said:
I started using a cpap about 2 years ago. I first used a full face. The first week you will feel great, you don't know you feel terrible now, A full night of sleep makes a lot of differance in how you feel. By the second week you will get accustomed to having a full nights sleep, you will fell better than before, just not on cloud nine. I use a nose pillow. It don't cover your mouth and is a lot more confortable than a mask. If I lay down just for a nap I will use it. It makes that much differance. I am going on a elk hunt next week, I will be taking a marine battery and my cpap with me. Another plus to this is my wife gets a better nights sleep as well. I don't wake her up with my snoring. Those nose strips, things you put in your mouth to move you lower jaw forward, or other contraptions don't work. The cpap blows a constant pressure keeping your airway unobstructed. Thoses other thing can't do that. If you have to purchase yours yourself you can find them on ebay, or several other internet sites much cheaper than you can get them from your doctor. My doctor charged my insurance co. $2200 for mine. They said it was their cost.I saw the same thing on the internet for less than $500, everthing included. I was going to order a adapter so I could use it on dc current. I told him "you need to fire your purchasing agent because your paying 4 times what I can get one for" He then gave me the adapter free. Below is a link to the one I use. Getting this was one of the best things I have none. Good Luck, or should I say "good night and sleep well"

BAMA

http://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/Remsta ... chine.html

Thanks,

The main reason I am looking into renting one is because the place I get it from will come out periodically and make sure it is running up to speed and will change the hoses out on it etc.

It ain't nothing to them. I'm using the same hose I started with. The machine is no problem to use. Just turn it on and it works. I don't even use the humidifier all the time.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":27weqt7v said:
The main reason I am looking into renting one is because the place I get it from will come out periodically and make sure it is running up to speed and will change the hoses out on it etc.

Don't fall for that one........ change your air filter every month or so and you're good to go. You can buy an extra hose for cheap of the internet. Also, make sure that you get a hose swivel to go on your end of the hose.

Someone gave my wife a newspaper clipping that said concentrated cherry juice contained natural melatonin. So I bought some ar Krogers, about $18.00 a quart.

You put two tablespoons in a glass of water a hour or so before bedtime. ( and drink it, just don't just leave it in the glass)
It is either my imagination or I am sleeping much better, however my wife quit after the first three nights because she was having extremely strange dreams.

danl":2krfq284 said:
Someone gave my wife a newspaper clipping that said concentrated cherry juice contained natural melatonin. So I bought some ar Krogers, about $18.00 a quart.

You put two tablespoons in a glass of water a hour or so before bedtime. ( and drink it, just don't just leave it in the glass)
It is either my imagination or I am sleeping much better, however my wife quit after the first three nights because she was having extremely strange dreams.
I have heard of it for gout as it cuts down the uric acid, but didn't know it was good to aid restful sleep. might try it. as it is natural. don't care about having dreams as long as they are not nightmares. am off to bed now and see if I can get at least an hour or two.
EmoticonSnore.gif

chrisy":12hfxsk9 said:
danl":12hfxsk9 said:

I have heard of it for gout as it cuts down the uric acid, but didn't know it was good to aid restful sleep. might try it. as it is natural. don't care about having dreams as long as they are not nightmares. am off to bed now and see if I can get at least an hour or two.
EmoticonSnore.gif
Chrissy
It is the tart cherry juice, my wife had to add Splenda sweetener to be able to drink it. I'm tougher though :)

Ryder":10swtviw said:
Seems like I hear of an awful lot of people with sleep apnea. Is there some sort of epdemic?
Seems a bit like Asthma and Diabetes, more people than ever have it, could it be Doctors know a lot more now than they did before, or the life styles we lead now, more pollution in the air etc.

peg4x4":1qamdwwz said:
Couldn't the machine be run on batteries?? Can't be that much of a draw down.

I had asked about it. They said it was "in the works". That was over a year ago. Maybe I should call and ask again.
We had one of those portable Black and Decker emergency battery units, and it was not enough to even start the CPAP.

My husband snores so bad I frequently wear earplugs to bed. I'm not joking. I would like for him to have a sleep study but I don't think he'd go for it.

I had a friend whose husband had this condition so bad he'd have seizures from lack of oxygen. Who knows? There may be something they can do that will change your life. It's hard to work when you fight sleep all day.

Just got back from the sleep study. I spent an hour in the bathroom last night with the trots bad. Once I got that situated and drank some sprite I slept halfway decent even with the mask on. I slept about 4 hours and I dont feel as tired as what I normally would if I only got 4 hours of sleep.

Ryder":cj7b2qtf said:
Seems like I hear of an awful lot of people with sleep apnea. Is there some sort of epdemic?

Yes, it's an epidemic. It's caused from a lot of us being a fat-a$$. Losing weight helps with the problem.

grannysoo":hrnpaxhz said:
Ryder":hrnpaxhz said:

Yes, it's an epidemic. It's caused from a lot of us being a fat-a$$. Losing weight helps with the problem.
Not everyone with the problem is over weight, isn't it something to do with the back pallet in the throat being soft? being over weight doesn't help but not the only contributor so I have read.

grannysoo":3aquabk1 said:
Ryder":3aquabk1 said:

Do you have one of those cpap pro deals? If so how do you like it?

Latest posts