slaughtering animals

Help Support CattleToday:

northernboy

Reaction score
After reading a few posts on slaughtering,I was wondering if there was any scientific research done comparing place of slaughter.Ranch\feedlot vs slaughter house.How would the meat tenderness\ quality compare? Imo if the animal was killed on site it should be more tender than if was trucked to a packing plant.I know this is not practical large scale,just curious.

OK ~ 43 views and no replies ~ I'll give it a whirl.

We have had it done both ways~ had cattle shipped to locker and killed there; and had them shot and quartered on our farm befor hauling to the locker. I was not able to tell the difference in the quality of meat (tenderness).

In theory, it is said by I don't know who, that the adrenalin pumped through the system before kill affects the meat quality negativly. I believe that this is so ~ it makes sense.

I hear most often hunters talking about this effect. A deer that is not killed on first shot and had to be chased down, or maybe one that is hit by a car and injured befor butcher is said to be of poorer meat quality.

I agree with angie. Done it both ways and only once could I tell a difference. The one time I could, the fella in front of me brought in a brangus with a broke front leg. It was extremely upset and had not been fed to finish. Mine on the otherhand was a tame as a lap dog and over-finished if anything. After picking up my meat, if you can call it that - It looked more like liver, dark and bloody - I learned that the guy with the hurt cow had already gotten his and said it was the best meat he ever ate. Can't prove it but sure sounds like somebody got the tags mixed up. Killing on the farm would have prevented this.

For what it's worth, I think it may make a difference to the cow :) . I've watched cattle here get farm slaughtered. They were munching hay one minute with no stress and no real idea what was coming. I know it's not practical for many, but I'd prefer it if I was them :shock: .

northernboy":359junnw said:
After reading a few posts on slaughtering,I was wondering if there was any scientific research done comparing place of slaughter.Ranch\feedlot vs slaughter house.How would the meat tenderness\ quality compare? Imo if the animal was killed on site it should be more tender than if was trucked to a packing plant.I know this is not practical large scale,just curious.

It should make a difference at least to the extent that a calm animal won't have a bunch of lactic acid in their system. As far as killing them at home, makes sense, except for the possibility of doing it in front of the other cows. That wouldn't be my first choice.

Now that I'm older and a little softer, I find it doesn't diminish me to show a little respect to all living things. Especially the ones I kill for my food. I've always felt that if a person is going to take the life of an animal for any reason, they need to do it with some respect for that life. It doesn't keep me from hunting or eradicating vermin, I just try not to be so cavalier about ending the life of anything.. Just my 2 cents like it or don't like it, I really don't care.

Before my cattle arrived I read a book on cattle behaviour that included a section on animal welfare. Sorry I con't remember the exact name of the book. It had scientific data about travelling times, types, and the slaughtering process. The meat quality was reduced by stress as others have said here. It suggested even finding out if your animals will have to wait in a holding area before going to the kill floor as it has an affect on the meat quality. That being said, I'm sure you could dig up some actual studies if you went searching.

We salughter our freezer beef on the farm and our USDA for cut beef sales at the packer's. We haul the animals the day before the kill which gives them time to settle down. Haven't noticed any difference. I would not want the steer killed the same day that we sorthe, loaded and hauled 100 miles. DMC

Friend of mine had a cow that wouldn't breed and they couldn't catch her. She ran thru fences, etc. They finally broke out the deer rifle and took turns trying to make a head shot on her. I think they winged her a couple of times before someone finally put her down. They had her ground into hamburger. He said it tasted fine.

Don't know the answer, but I do know that we take ours to the slaughterhouse a day in advance. Give him time to settle in, eat some feed, drink some water and chill out waiting to be that steak.

I have been gone for a long time, got a new computer and then lost the this site… long story...but here I am back and give you a belated answer to your questions from a processionals point of view.

The quality and tenderness of the meat is affected by many things, besides transport, some of these are. Cattle breed, age, general health condition, stress, and food are all influencing the outcome of the meats quality and tenderness.

Where the animal is slaughtered, i.e. on the farm or in the plant affects tenderness and meat quality only when the animal is transported and slaughtered on the same day. As has been said the animal should rest for a day before it is slaughtered. It is also advisable to give the animal only a little food but offer all the water it wants to drink.

Hope that this info is helpful. :cboy: