Slaughterhouses in Texas or OK for downed cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here are some in Texas:
San Angelo Packing in San Angelo
L & H Packing in San Antonio
H&B Packing in Waco
Huse Meats in Malone (Corsicana, Hillsboro Waco area)
Mineola Packing in Mineola

I forgot to add that cattle must be able to walk off the trailer at all these establishments.

If you have a true "downer", just shoot and bury the animal.

I thought that was true of all slaughter houses - animal must be able to walk through the facility. No downers are being taken anywhere - that was my understanding.

I've hauled several over the years to H B in Waco they have al ways done me right. They just can't have a hot temp. The sooner the better.

Farmerjohn - take them to the local sale barn (livestock barn), unless you want the meat for yourself. If that is the case, look up butcher in the yellow pages or of the yellow pages of the closest larger town. Most localities have butchers.

Limping does not constitute downer. A downer is a cow that cannot walk on its own free will.

H & B is in south Waco, Orchard Dr. off Hwy 6. They will no longer take "downers", or cattle that have to be pulled off the trailer. If she can't walk off, they can't take them. There is a dog food company on Lake Shore Drive, near Plantation foods, that I understand will take "downers"... Champion Dog Food I believe.

Mineola Packing in Mineola

I had them come pick one up for me. She slid down the shoot when the sellers brought her to me and split her rear legs apart and could not get up. Anyway, they came and picked her up and told me they would mail me the check. I said "Thank You" and a few weeks later I got a check. This 1000 pound cow dressed out to less than 200 pounds, according to them.

Moral - go with them and get a proper reading so you don't get ripped.

Thanks very much for the information. The last limping one that I sold at the sale, I only got $100. The barn said they had to buy it. I figure that they got someone to take it to a packing house.

Downer cattle cannot be slaughtered for human consumption.

Not even at your local locker for personal use.

Find a pet food manufacturer.

farmerjohn":14unybeu said:
Thanks very much for the information. The last limping one that I sold at the sale, I only got $100. The barn said they had to buy it. I figure that they got someone to take it to a packing house.

Seems low to me, but I didn't see your limping cow. If you think it was too low, see if there is another sale barn that is within decent range of your place. We have some in our area that do very well but if we head the opposite direction they aren't quite as good. A lot depends on the auctioneer. You should be able to get a weekly price listing of the area's auctions. Watch the packer cow, stocker calves, and replacement cow prices over time. That will give you an idea of which barns try harder to get better prices for both buyers and sellers.